Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here and trying to get info on as 'non-toxic' of a finish as possible for the baby co-sleeper and crib (pine) I've just built (first real project). I'm in the Rep. of Georgia and a friend said I could use bee's wax. When searching on youtube, most have been mixed with linseed oil, mineral oil, or a type of plant-based oil (olive, veg., etc.).

1. If using a plant-based oil, what will happen over time to the wood? Many say it will go 'rancid'... Does that mean it will rot the wood or cause mold? I was thinking to use a slight amount of coconut oil with bee's wax mixture.

2. Are there potential fire hazard dangers using just straight beeswax?

3. Are there potential fire hazard dangers using mixture of beeswax + some type of oil (linseed, mineral, or plant-based)

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new here and trying to get info on as 'non-toxic' of a finish as possible for the baby co-sleeper and crib (pine) I've just built (first real project). I'm in the Rep. of Georgia and a friend said I could use bee's wax. When searching on youtube, most have been mixed with linseed oil, mineral oil, or a type of plant-based oil (olive, veg., etc.).

1. If using a plant-based oil, what will happen over time to the wood? Many say it will go 'rancid'... Does that mean it will rot the wood or cause mold? I was thinking to use a slight amount of coconut oil with bee's wax mixture.

3. Are there potential fire hazard dangers using mixture of beeswax + some type of oil (linseed, mineral, or plant-based)

Many thanks
Hi, in my limited experience, I've usually opted for Tung oil - 2 or 3 coats with 24 hrs drying time in between and then a coat of wax and final buff.
Just a thought 'though, and the more experienced members may be able to advise, how about a food safe oil like those used on chopping boards etc?

·
Former Member
1,512 Posts
Hi all,

3. Are there potential fire hazard dangers using mixture of beeswax + some type of oil (linseed, mineral, or plant-based)...Many thanks
Hello and Welcome,

This will be a very nice thing your doing when done...Most excellent!!!

Only some "nondrying oils" will go rancid, and no it won't rot the wood. Some like olive oil is made to go rancid for certain types of finish, coconut oil doesn't tend to go rancid, and most of these are applicable for furniture anyway...There many woodwork uses are another topic...

I finish almost exclusively in natural/traditional food grade materials completely safe for pets, children, and the environment in general...The challenge for me in helping...You are in ROG...So..??...you either have to spend quite a bit of money and order material from here...or...I would recommend trying to find pure Tung Oil that is not mixed with other adulterants like drying agents, petroleum byproducts and the like, and using that for several coats and finishing it off with a rubbed in beeswax finish off.

If you really want to get into a good blend of traditional oils, you will need food grade citrus, flax (aka linseed), tung oils...Pine Rosin...and beeswax blended together. This will be a bit of an experiment on your part as the formulas are proprietary and/or specific to the quality, age and condition of the ingredients as well as intended out come...but it is doable. I'm not sure it is worth the effort though unless really getting into tradtional woodworking and finishing....

There are not real or concerning hazards with beeswax. Oiled rags can be "self combustible" so dispose of properly...

Good Luck,

j

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for you help.

I was able to find food grade 'linseed oil'. Maybe that's the best to use, but do I need to boil it first? Most woodworkers on youtube use 'boiled' linseed.

Any idea on ration of wax to oil?

·
Former Member
1,512 Posts
Thanks to both of you for you help.

I was able to find food grade 'linseed oil'. Maybe that's the best to use, but do I need to boil it first? Most woodworkers on youtube use 'boiled' linseed.

Any idea on ration of wax to oil?
Hi,

Sorry...this is tough one and the formulation for final finishes are many ...and...many of those are proprietary in nature.

It can not just be boiled...that won't take raw flax oil and do anything to it, as it must be brought to 300°C without Oxygen (like in a pressure cooker) for days...This is a "lab based" process and why food grade drying oils are expensive. You have to purchase them this way, and make sure they are not adulterated with additives like...lead, soybean oil, naphthenates, coblt, etc...

Tung oil is the same or similar process...with the same precautions...

Again, many formulas out there...One is 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 pure pine turpentine, 1/3 pure tung or flax oil...but that's for raw wood and the first coat. You must experiment with what you have to determine what will work best on your wood and from the materials you can acquire there.

Sorry I wasn't of more help on this one...

j

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help, J.

I ended up just going with bees wax and linseed oil (food grade), about 1:1. Hope my wood won't rot... :/

·
Former Member
1,512 Posts
Thanks for your help, J.

I ended up just going with bees wax and linseed oil (food grade), about 1:1. Hope my wood won't rot... :/
Give us updates on your view of the finish in a few months? Photos would be great, and I wouldn't worry too much at all about decay...

Regards,

j

·
Registered
20 Posts
rot? thats a new one for me. Many Beeks opt for finishing their hives with linseed oil/beeswax instead of painting. the best of my knowledge those things last years exposed to the elements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts