Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished this natural edge bowl/vase/beaker from a piece of Russian Olive.

I'd never turned this wood before, so imagine my delight when I found out it's drop-dead gorgeous. I'm really glad that I have another piece of it.

This had a rub with BLO followed by a couple of coats of wipe-on poly. I'm resisting the urge to put more coats on, I think it looks good as a satin finish.
Wood Tree Vase Carving Artifact

Carving Wood Tree earthenware Ceramic

Wood Carving Tree earthenware Artifact

Wood

·
7,222 Posts
Terrific looking wood. Wonderful grain and colours. Well done. :thumbsup:

How was this wood to turn? I have a recollection of a post mentioning this was the first and last time the person would turn olive, perhaps it was another wood.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Very nice. I've had a few chunks of log of that wood sitting in my driveway for quite a while now, thanks to a fellow member here. Your pic might just be the motivation I need to get off my duff and turn it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone :smile:

How was this wood to turn? I have a recollection of a post mentioning this was the first and last time the person would turn olive, perhaps it was another wood.
I had no trouble with it -- but I was being really careful trying to ensure the bark didn't separate, so I was taking very light cuts the whole time. Maybe Russian Olive is different from regular Olive?

I've had a few chunks of log of that wood sitting in my driveway for quite a while now, thanks to a fellow member here.
Well that's no way to treat a nice piece of wood ... :laughing: (btw, if said member is reading and has any spare bits, I'd be more than happy to work some kind of trade ;))

that is a beautiful piece of art :thumbsup:
Thanks Robert ... it's all wrapped up and boxed ready to send to its new caretaker; I have to mail it before I change my mind about letting it go!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice. Beautiful wood and great use of it !

Wow! That turned out really nice. I love when I post pens and it gets surrounded by art pieces, bowls and hf's. You do great work. I'll get there someday.
Thanks ... if you really want to turn bowls, I recommend you buy yourself a simple bowl gouge (I started with one of the PennState "Benjamins Best" 1/2-inch) and find somebody who'll teach you how to get started. Rockler and Woodcraft stores often run classes, and turning clubs might have members who volunteer as mentors.

It's a LOT easier to learn from somebody right next to you than from watching videos ... "try turning the gouge a little clockwise ... raise the tool rest a smidge ..." You don't get that kind of assistance from a video :no:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that does look nice.
Real nice. I love that wild grain
That came out great. I got some Russian olive but for what I do it wasn't dense enough. What I had was very easy to work just a little too light.
Nothing wrong with that natural edge piece!
That's really something. Any chance you have a picture of the blank before you started?
Thanks all :smile:

Quickstep - I haven't got any pix of that exact blank, but I do have another piece. It's a different shape but looks very similar, I'll try to remember to photograph it tonight.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quickstep asked if I had pix of the blank before turning. I don't, but here are some snapshots of a similar piece that I received at the same time as the other. (My apologies for the crummy pix ... they look better at a smaller size!)

Wood Geology Tree Rock Formation

Wood Tree Rock Geology Art

Rock Geology Formation Intrusion Bedrock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.