Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all... this piece was a fun one. took my time with the form and it went through several versions before this one... Think my next big purchase is gonna be a tear drop sheer scraper that I can use on the inside of forms such as this to cut down on sanding time.It was the first time I'd worked with sycamore.Beautiful wood when it's fresh cut but unfortunately that bright red color seems to fade pretty quick. Will post more pics once its all sanded n finished... happy turnin all,
Bond

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow! That's really spectacular Bond. Probably my favorite piece of yours that I've seen. It took a lot of vision to design that. I wish you had a before pic of the log. What's your finishing plan?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet! Did you almost pass out from holding your breath on that one trying not to bump that wing. Looks great and I am sure pictures don't do it justice

·
Master of None
120 Posts
:laughing: I was also worried about that wing but I was wondering how many times it whacked Bond while he was reaching in to turn out the inside......geeeze! That's one cool piece and I kind of like it unfinished as it is.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Wow!
That's a really nice turning. Gonna be hard to top that, but it'll be fun for ya.
Don't finish it on the lathe---just sayin'

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all! Yeah the top part was pretty difficult due to the inconsistent grain pattern and because there were several areas of punkiness followed by solid wood.The main thing I wanted to do was to keep this knot that was there. I did have a few instances where that wing gave me a smack! But thankfully it was a minor smack:) and it was thin enough to flex.I started out thinking I might want to make a hollow form out of it with the wing there because the bark was so pretty but it just wasnt stable enough to stay on the piece very well. In terms of finishing it'll all have to be done by hand off the lathe and Im not lookin forward to it very much but I took a bunch of time while it was on the lathe to get a super clean cut but I feel I really need to get a sheer scraper to get the insides of these things to the 220 grit starting point that I get the outsides of em...Right now the hollowing tool tips are going to leave tool marks regardless of how slowly I take it. Will definitely post some pics once its all done n sanded but thought I'd throw up a few of the piece while it was in progress... It's amazing how much it's moved since I took it off the lathe. Am already trying to put together some ideas of how to true up the bottom:blink: should be a challenge in itself! anyway thanks again for all the kind words:thumbsup: happy turnin,
Bond

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts