Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home yesterday to a huge branch down in my yard. After an hour I had a truck full of stuff for the brush pile and a few usable pieces. I decided to turn a hollow form today out of one of the chunks.

Pottery Ceramic Artifact Urn Art

Pottery Urn Ceramic earthenware Artifact

Egg Ball

Wood Fashion accessory Circle Metal

The idea was to get some hollowing practice, but the finished product turned out nice. The shape will change a bit as it dries. I'll post another pic in about a week to show how the wood moved. Not sure of the species, but it is some type of oak.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like what you did with that piece. As a rule, most folks don't include the pith for fear of it cracking, and of course that is a legitimate concern. You may already know this but David Ellsworth writes about using the pith exactly the way you did it, oriented such that it is at an equal height on both sides and placed at the major diameter of the form. As it dries those points will appear to push outward which can be very interesting visually.

It looks to be pretty thick and I have had a hard time keeping oak from cracking so hopefully you are drying it slowly. It looks like some type of red oak to me. I like the natural edge too. Nice work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it Ellsworth style. It is much thinner than it looks. I left the rim wide to show off the bark. Hopefully it is thin enough to move without cracking. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Were nice Hollow forum :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
763 Posts
EastexToolJunky said:
I did it Ellsworth style. It is much thinner than it looks. I left the rim wide to show off the bark. Hopefully it is thin enough to move without cracking. We'll see.
I had a feeling that wasn't an accident. It's a good example of that style. I look forward to the "after" pics. I bet it'll be great.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 10 days drying on the counter. No paper bag or sealer.

Wood Lamp Circle

Plant Hi-hat Cymbal

Pottery earthenware Ceramic Bowl Wood

You can see how oval it got by the line I burned on the bottom. One small crack opened up but closed back as it dried. The pith was not centered on the piece, so it is a little asymmetrical.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Lookin pretty cool so far. I applaud you for not pouring glue into the crack immediately. They do close up a lot of the time in my experience but not after a dose of CA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts