Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to upgrade and I have been going nuts with the choices out there. I know I want a belt driven saw and would like a Rivin knife and have found two choices on CL. Ridgid R4511 (granite top), or a Delta 36-979. The Delta is in very good shape but I did not see the fence. the hubby was out and the wife did not know where it was. The 4511 was supposedly never taken out of the box. I understand the 4511 has an issue with the split rail and the granite top is a bit of a concern. I can get the 4511 for $275 and the ridgid for $250. For the Delta an after market Rieven knife is $150 and don't know if I'll need a fence for it.
I am only a hobby woodworker and cannnot fully justify buying new, but would like this to be the last saw I purchase. BTW I am not ruling out buying new. What are your opinions on the two used saws?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
For what it's worth....I have a granite top saw, and if I have a choice, I'll never get a cast iron one again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth....I have a granite top saw, and if I have a choice, I'll never get a cast iron one again...
Ryan, thanks. I was hoping for a reply from someone that actually has a granite top. I'm sure they are not as prone to chipping as is alleged on some of the forums. Do you agree? Do you own the 4511? I am still wondering about the split rail. I am still undecided between the two saws.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The R4511 has fairly beefy cabinet mounted trunnions going for it, and a lot more weight. The granite top wouldn't bother me as much as the fence, but it's at least functional, and be upgraded down the road if necessary.

Does the Delta have cast iron wings? That'd be a plus for sure. So would the T2 fence if it's included. Does the Delta include the stock blade guard? A riving knife is a better mouse trap, but there are good aftermarket splitters available too for less.

R4511:

Delta:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
flint103 said:
Ryan, thanks. I was hoping for a reply from someone that actually has a granite top. I'm sure they are not as prone to chipping as is alleged on some of the forums. Do you agree? Do you own the 4511? I am still wondering about the split rail. I am still undecided between the two saws.
No. I have a craftsman 22116. I use my saw as my main workbench as it's more convenient than my actual bench. I pound on chisels....pile stuff on it...and generally am pretty hard on it. Keep in mind it's two inch thick granite....it's pretty durable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The R4511 has fairly beefy cabinet mounted trunnions going for it, and a lot more weight. The granite top wouldn't bother me as much as the fence, but it's at least functional, and be upgraded down the road if necessary.

Does the Delta have cast iron wings? That'd be a plus for sure. So would the T2 fence if it's included. Does the Delta include the stock blade guard? A riving knife is a better mouse trap, but there are good aftermarket splitters available too for less.

R4511:

Delta:

The Delta has cast iron wings and the stock blade guard. I will look for other splitters if I spring for the Delta. Very little rust on the table, so would be an easy cleanup. Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
.......I am still wondering about the split rail. I am still undecided between the two saws.
cabinet mounted trunions and left tilt are all you need to know to sway the choice to the 4511, which also came with a riving knife rather than a splitter.

Reactions: flint103

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to thank you gentlemen for your kind input to my saw dilemma. Wifey must have seen my frustration and most likely got tired of me talking about the good and bad points of the different saws. So she said to buy the one that I thought was best. So to avoid buyers remorse and....... as another retirement present to myself and having become a junior, senior I purchased the G0715P. Don't believe I will be measuring and tweeking the fence too much anymore.
Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts