Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of folks here, I've purchase a set of the Narex chisels. I picked them based on price, info from here, and the Fine Woodworking chisel comparison from a while back. They are a great deal, and a huge leap from my Stanley Fatmax chisels when it comes to blade shape and overall weight. The one thing I do not care for is the handle shape. On the wider blades, the handle is fine because I mainly use them for paring. On the narrow chisels the blade length and handle size make then feel awkward in my hand. I wanted to try making new handles for them, but could not find much info on the tang shape/size of these particular chisels. So, in the interest of discovery, I decided to start a re-handle thread. Hopefully anyone else who has contemplated this se project will find the info useful.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I got my chisels from lee valley, the 5/8 was back ordered. I flattened and sharpened the other six, and received the 5/8 about 2 weeks later. Since I had no sweat equity in this one, I figured it was the best candidate to start with. image-300580660.jpg
I started by putting a couple pieces of gorilla tape over the sharp bit to cut down the chance of cutting down my fingers.

image-2426125885.jpg

Since I've re-handled a few turning tools, I knew the easiest way to get the old handle off was with a hammer and stump of hard wood.

image-3478188888.jpg
Lay the tool flat on the wood, and bash away. A few swings of the hammer later...

image-3163451160.jpg

After I pulled the splinter wood apart I was left with this.

image-314835078.jpg

The tang is squarish, and measures 3/8x5/16x1 3/4".

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I've got to decide on a handle shape and material. You can see the difference between the old handle, and my comfy Lie Nielson socket chisel. I own only 1 of these (a Father's Day gift from my wife).

image-1799286337.jpg

I'll be searching the web for ideas, and will post the handle build when I'm able to get back out to the shop/garage. I did find these, and they look pretty good.

image-2280022334.jpg

I want to be able to hold both the blade and the handle for better control when using a mallet. If anyone has any suggestions, please post a pic.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can respect wanting to change the handle, but I must say that the picture of the old handle all shattered makes me cringe.

I like the shape of my Stanley Bailey chisels, but I'm hardly a coinosseur.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks for the pix in post #2. A very bash-worthy hammer. I use a 32oz.
I recover the hook knife blades from farrier's tools and convert them into
crooked knives for wood carving. I have yet to extract a blade without the terminal sacrifice
of the handle. They are not made to cooperate.

Narex. I have 2 pairs of 1/2" skews scrubbed down to 20 degrees for carving.
The handles all look like yours. Non-slip and they don't roll, the size is OK for my big front paws
but the shank coud be 1-2" shorter.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I dont have a picture handy, But when I rehandle any chisel or turn screw or handle of the likes, I did my copy of the Blue Spruce handles. they are very comfortable in the paws. and can be made to fit any size.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image-3908077923.jpg

Looked them up. Those look pretty good. The ones I posted looked too much like the original. I will probably make a hybrid of the blue spruce pattern you posted and the Stanley everlasting pattern.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Temps got into the 20's last night, so I spent my time in my warm living room. I studied the way I grip my chisels.

image-2410431506.jpg

This is the grip I use when paring material. The butt of the handle is pushed by the ball of my hand with the fingers guiding the blade.

image-545165938.jpg

This is the grip I use when chopping. I use my thumb and index to grip the recess in the handle. The blade is grabbed by the other fingers and the ball of my hand is used as a fulcrum to pivot the blade.

So with that info I drew up this...

image-1146262331.jpg

I will use copper pipe for the ferrule and try turning this to see how it feels. I may need to file the tang a bit so my hole won't need to be as large.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
image-343436319.jpg

I got a chance to turn my new handle this evening. I used Bois d'arc because it's tough and I have a bit of it. I filed the tang a bit to get it in my 23/64 hole.

image-162935529.jpg

I made sure it would bottom out in the hole by measuring both (a couple times). I usually put a little thick CA glue into the hole on my turning tool handles, so I figured it wouldn't hurt here. The tolerances were pretty good, so it probably wasn't necessary.

image-1146967665.jpg

Here it is with the new handle. I'm going to sharpen it and use it for a while then decide what modifications I want to make before re-handling the whole set.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to belabor this thread, but I decided to go ahead and do another chisel from the set. After messing one I made for the 5/8 I came to a few conclusions. The ferrule didn't need to be as long
The indent was to angular feeling. The handle was still too big overall and didn't give
Me the weight reduction I was going for. With this fresh in my mind, I decided to revamp the 3/8". Here's what I came up with.

image-1783978023.jpg

image-415968834.jpg

I can really tell the difference now. Only time will tell if it holds up. I'm sure that if I keep the chisel sharp, thus requiring only minor taps with a mallet, This will last a while. If I could go back, I would have probably just bought a couple of higher end chisels and then filled the "set" as needed. I am getting lots of tuning and sharpening experience with these, not to mention having tools that far exceeded what I had before. The main reason I posted this was because I couldn't find a picture of what was inside of the handle on a narex chisel. Maybe someone else who was hesitating re-handling theirs will have the info they need to get started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts