Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Beech, absolutely! The brown marks are typical with red oak and misleading to many but more consistent with beech, smells much sweeter than oak.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have a sweet smell, and looks a little different than oak. It's almost pink in color and very hard.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Looked like beech to me but then I saw the open pores in the end grain and now I figure it's oak. Sure looks like beech on the face grain though.

A sanded-down end grain shot would likely be definitive

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looked like beech to me but then I saw the open pores in the end grain and now I figure it's oak. Sure looks like beech on the face grain though.

A sanded-down end grain shot would likely be definitive
A shearing cut with a razor sharp chisel is even more definitive. My old eyes don't really see the pores of Northern Red/Appalachian oak especially in the 3rd picture. The small flecks seem to be consistent though. How many species of oak are there? Brings me back to my college days watching all the forestry students with their samples, magnifying glasses/loops, and going around everywhere with samples seemingly attached to their nose. They really put it to them, though I don't think they had the variety that you have on you site. They were required to KNOW them 100%

I'll bet our answers would be a lot more consistent if we had the samples in our hands, or working with the material.:smile:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Hocus-pocus. Give me radial, tangential and transverse sections, 15 microns thick, and I can tell you in less than 5 minutes. And, it will stand up in court. Chunks of wood look so variable, depending on the skill (or lack thereof) of the sawyer. I won't even try to guess.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've worked with beech, probably a few miles of it over the years. I like it. There's no doubt with the nice pictures you posted, shows all the characteristics. Hope that's not your planer, knives are kinda nicked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts