Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get idea what type of wood this is. I have used this in a project that I have posted pics of in the design and planning section, but this is some new stuff we are starting to receive at work.

This is off pallets that I am tearing apart for the wood stringers that has the most wood, as the boards on the top and bottom are only about 1/2'' thick and are pretty much useless for anything i would use them for.

Just trying to get an idea on what you guys might think it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't be hickory, doesnt have the density and weight like hickory does.

Must say this wood is coming from South America, from the Argentina and Chile areas of the country.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
What a difference a few pictures make. I thought it was poplar to begin with but I think we can rule out maple or poplar. It looks like elm to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow I will take a picture of what they look like before they are planned down. They have a real distinctive reddish color before planning down, maybe that will help things a bit.

So far thanks for all that have replied and have tried figuring this out. Whatever it is it is some nice looking wood, and wood be nice for about about anything.

·
Schramm
122 Posts
Seeing that these are pallet material, it could be just about anything. If it is light in weight the 2nd picture looks like white cedar, but depending on where you are from that could be butternut. Around here (Illinois) pallets are made out of whatever is available and cut down at local mills. Its really not too common to make pallet material out of maple but then again who knows.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
I don't know what it is but when my wife and I bought our last home there were a lot of pallets that were torn apart and I decided to clean them up and use the wood. The wood looked exactly like your pics. The stuff was so dense. It was as hard or even harder than maple. I hope you find out what it is so I know what I was working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like said before these pallets are coming from South America from the parts of Argentina and Chile. So I wouldn't think they would be native Illinois trees. All the seed pallets we use here at work are either oak or hickory since pine pallets will not take the stress of over 3000 lbs on them.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I worked in a shop that was also a wood outlet, we bought many pallets of Luan Ply out of Brazil.
As they slashed through the jungle, they made the pallets out of anything else that got in their way, often Purpleheart, Rosewood, ironic.
I would venture to say it will be hard to identify coming from that far away.
It looks similar to a wood I use right here in Belize, and no one here agrees on a definitive species name.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
Like said before these pallets are coming from South America from the parts of Argentina and Chile. So I wouldn't think they would be native Illinois trees. All the seed pallets we use here at work are either oak or hickory since pine pallets will not take the stress of over 3000 lbs on them.
If you think the pallets are made from Illinois wood, you might need to take the board to a local mill to get better info. It's really difficult sometimes to tell the species of wood from a picture and there have been too many different suggestions here for you to draw a conclusion. Sometimes you have to cut it and smell the wood to be sure. I went to a site that listed trees native to Illinois and looked at the different woods on google images and got 4 more maybe's this morning so I couldn't say for sure what the wood was.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
some of the top pictures i would guess ash, the bottom doesn't really look like it though

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not an expert of identifying wood, but i think that this is a Meranti wood. I have some peaces of it and i took some pictures so you and the rest can compare and judge.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts