Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am setting up my first shop and I just bought a band saw at on online auction, picked it up today and it looks to have the name brand sticker taken off and I don't know who made the saw. I am thinking it is a Grizzly based on the power button layout and the color, there was also a Grizzly planer sold at the same auction. It needs a little work but I got a good deal on it I think.

Can anybody tell me what it is, who made it and the model number? It is belt driven with a 1hp induction motor.

ForumRunner_20140115_205430.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like grizzly or harbor freight to me......
Yeah I thought it might be a hf saw too but the hf saws I looked up don't have that on switch or those stickers. This saw motor is also 16 amps at 110v :-o I just hope it doesn't flip my breaker when I get it running and turn it on. Don't have enough room in the box for a 220V.

ForumRunner_20140115_212137.jpg

ForumRunner_20140115_212110.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's the previous(better) Harbor Freight 14" variable speed. Their current incarnation of this saw is not as good. I don't know what you paid, but it's a decent little saw. The Grizzly riser kit works well with this one with little to no modification(the newer required loads more work), and many parts available for the Jet this was cloned after are available @ woodcraft or just about anywhere. Put a good blade on it, get a zero-clearance table insert and some ceramic guides, and you'll be good to start. Oh, and your breaker box should be just fine... I run all of my bigger 110 stuff through a surge protector, to avoid tripping. Anywho, enjoy!

WCT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the previous(better) Harbor Freight 14" variable speed. Their current incarnation of this saw is not as good. I don't know what you paid, but it's a decent little saw. The Grizzly riser kit works well with this one with little to no modification(the newer required loads more work), and many parts available for the Jet this was cloned after are available @ woodcraft or just about anywhere. Put a good blade on it, get a zero-clearance table insert and some ceramic guides, and you'll be good to start. Oh, and your breaker box should be just fine... I run all of my bigger 110 stuff through a surge protector, to avoid tripping. Anywho, enjoy!

WCT
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it! I paid 200 which is not a steal but I suppose it is better than a bench top model. I am planning on doing the upgrades you recommended. When I bought it I figured I could put some work into it and make it a decent saw.

I did it with my Walker Turner table saw and I really like my saw.

Again thanks for the info!

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's identical to the one I have.... Mine is an Industriline I bought in the late 80s....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's the exact bandsaw that I've got. It's a HF bandsaw. Mine has that same switch and I bought it new in 1997. You can easily get parts for it from HF or from other outlets.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Toolman2 said:
It's the exact bandsaw that I've got. It's a HF bandsaw. Mine has that same switch and I bought it new in 1997. You can easily get parts for it from HF or from other outlets.
Good to know.....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
162 Posts
Neither the guides nor the switch match the grizzly, and though it's hard to tell from the picture, the upper casting appears to be of a different shape as well. Of course, this doesn't rule out the grizzly at all; both items are trivial and often replaced. I really had no idea how similar those two saws were. I have heard lots of good about grizzly, but have no experience. The HF I can vouch for, despite it's questionable origins. Whatever the case, I think 200 is a fine price. I'm running an Olson resaw blade on my HF right now(lots of salvage to clean up), and while it doesn't hold a candle to a larger, American made saw, it's working for me. For corners, curves, etc., even the stock blade wasn't half bad.

One of these days I'm going to have to by Grizzly something or other... I wonder how their shapers are?..

WCT

·
Registered
162 Posts
And by the way, hockeydude, I'm extremely jealous of your Walker-Turner tablesaw. I'm restoring some of their early Driver-Line stuff now, but a tablesaw is on my list. You should do a thread about that. Love to see some pics.

WCT

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Neither the guides nor the switch match the grizzly, and though it's hard to tell from the picture, the upper casting appears to be of a different shape as well. Of course, this doesn't rule out the grizzly at all; both items are trivial and often replaced. I really had no idea how similar those two saws were. I have heard lots of good about grizzly, but have no experience. The HF I can vouch for, despite it's questionable origins. Whatever the case, I think 200 is a fine price. I'm running an Olson resaw blade on my HF right now(lots of salvage to clean up), and while it doesn't hold a candle to a larger, American made saw, it's working for me. For corners, curves, etc., even the stock blade wasn't half bad.

One of these days I'm going to have to by Grizzly something or other... I wonder how their shapers are?..

WCT
Odd - the switch posted appears to match the one on my Grizzly. Here's a pic of the upper wheel on mine I took some time back, only pic of it I have....(can take some if you need them of various parts).

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And by the way, hockeydude, I'm extremely jealous of your Walker-Turner tablesaw. I'm restoring some of their early Driver-Line stuff now, but a tablesaw is on my list. You should do a thread about that. Love to see some pics.

WCT

Thanks! The table saw is a Walker Turner Driver Line model 2221, built in 1956 I believe. With the saw and the motor it originally sold for about $350, which is over $3,000 in today's money. I am really impressed with how well they are built. This was my first experience with vintage machinery and I tell you what, I would much rather have vintage machinery than the new stuff within the same price range any day. Although I would eventually like to get some of the higher end grizzly machinery. The woodworking bug bit me hard, my wife thinks I have a serious problem because it is all I think about and read about now haha.:yes:

Here are some pics:

IMG_20131019_184354.jpg

IMG_20131112_204629.jpg

IMG_20131112_204635.jpg

There is a full thread here from a couple of months ago with a lot more pictures: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/new-woodworker-looking-table-saw-advice-56162/

Here is the original ad for the table saw in 1956 on page 9: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/808/2748.pdf

The only original part that I do not have with the saw is the fence. It came with a biesemyer fence system :D. purchased everything in as is condition for $250. A lot of elbow grease but the saw works flawless now. I just wish I could run it on 220V...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts