Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with this type of nail?I assume (yeah, I know) they are a type of finishing nail, but would like to know where to find them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,338 Posts
I've never seen one like it ~ how would you intend to use it ?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They make a heck of a finish nail - drive easily, but pulling them out is quite difficult. Holding power is really something.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The way the OP’s nails are cut remind me of upholstery tacks except for the shape of the heads and the ring shank.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those look more like a decorative nail - what I like about the others is that they have a small head and a lot of holding power.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, clinching nail ... mine are steel.....

Don't seem to be able to price them out on the web site - perhaps requires an account.

Searched Amazon for "clinch nail", found lots of the smooth big head ones, nothing like the ones I have.

Thanks all for the help, at least I have a source.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,875 Posts
Yep, clinching nail ... mine are steel.....

Don't seem to be able to price them out on the web site - perhaps requires an account.

Searched Amazon for "clinch nail", found lots of the smooth big head ones, nothing like the ones I have.

Thanks all for the help, at least I have a source.
Apparently you gotta completely fill in every bit of your order to get the price? For the LOW LOW PRICE of ONLY $43.95 each! LOL

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have seen them in old furniture that I take apart to harvest the hardwood. A common use seems to be around the "rim" to attach thin backs to the furniture. To remove them, I break up and remove the back to expose the nail, then use a claw hammer with a pad to protect the wood.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
We used to use those nails when doing stained glass work. When assembling the pieces of glass on top of a pattern, which was adhered to a piece of 1/2" plywood, the nails would hold the glass in place. The plywood had a small fence on two adjacent sides for the glass to push up against if it were something with straight sides. If not, nails were used all around to pin the pieces of glass from movingly.
Mike Hawkins

1 - 12 of 12 Posts