Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to embark on the scariest project I've done so far: a myrtlewood slab coffee table.

I'm not sure if I am going to end up turning legs on my midi lathe and going for something like this:

Or something more like this:

Right now though, I'm trying to find a wood that will go well with the myrtlewood. If I buy myrtlewood stock, this will become an outrageously expensive project. I was thinking something along the lines of walnut, but why not tap into the knowledge and experience of this forum?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would use taper legs on that slab :thumbsup:

·
Registered
834 Posts
First picture for a coffee table second picture for a kitchen table would be my vote.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.... I think I miscommunicated.

I am really looking for ideas on species for legs. I don't have enough myrtle for the legs.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Ok.... I think I miscommunicated.

I am really looking for ideas on species for legs. I don't have enough myrtle for the legs.

Curtis

Mongony would look great

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Where do you live and how long will the legs be? If they are less then 24" a LFRB only costs $16 to ship in the US. 24"x12x 3". you could have myrtle for not much?? Plus where you are at would determine what would be cheapest best wood.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
What is an LFRB?

Large Flat Rate Box- US Post office Priority mail. LFR is 12x12x5 1/2 and a LFRGameBox is 24 x12x 3 You could get 4 3x3 legsx 24" shipped to you from anywhere in the US for $16. If you want myrtle-craigslist/Oregon coast/ materials. It is there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I also do not like the first tables legs- look flimsy and just not right with top. Wrong style- just an opinion though. Live edge legs would look better. walnut live edge- doug fir top- bench I made for son. Remember though- just another thought. Myrtle will make nice top........:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: bigcouger

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I also do not like the first tables legs- look flimsy and just not right with top. Wrong style- just an opinion though. Live edge legs would look better. walnut live edge- doug fir top- bench I made for son. Remember though- just another thought. Myrtle will make nice top........:thumbsup:
100% agree with the OLD Couger here he make a good point for ya

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
100% agree with the OLD Couger here he make a good point for ya

Old coger not couger- I do not want to infringe on your pussy cat billing.........:laughing::laughing:

Reactions: bigcouger

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Old coger not couger- I do not want to infringe on your pussy cat billing.........:laughing::laughing:

I told ya canny spell :no::no::no: :laughing::laughing:

Reactions: mike1950
1 - 14 of 14 Posts