Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of making a conference table and I need some help from anyone who has worked extensively with myrtlewood. I am trying to join several 12" wide by 2 1/4" thick planks for the top. I have splined the planks and all edges are square but when I glue everthing together the planks warp so bad that the face is not flat. Any suggestions on joining would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I am in the process of making a conference table and I need some help from anyone who has worked extensively with myrtlewood. I am trying to join several 12" wide by 2 1/4" thick planks for the top. I have splined the planks and all edges are square but when I glue everthing together the planks warp so bad that the face is not flat. Any suggestions on joining would be helpful.

Picture will help so I can see what you see I can help you but need to see it

·
Registered
26,986 Posts
I don't know that I've ever worked with myrtlewood before but if it is warping that soon something basic is going wrong. Looking at the endgrain did you alternate the direction of the grain? Are you sure the boards were jointed square? Was the surface you clamped the top together on flat and level? Lastly like sawdustfactory said perhaps there was more pressure on one side then the other.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Along with the above- Is the wood dry????

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stupid question, but did the pieces sit overnight after being machined?

Where the splines large? Taking away more material may have allowed the piece to move again.

Where all the splines seated fully? Maybe the depth of some holes were off causing the pieces to bind throwing off your glue up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts