Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to set up my workshop, and want to keep the sawdust contained, and separate from the other stuff in my shop.

I would like to know how to hook the following equipment up to my Shop Vac Hangup (1-1/4" hose). (or am I better off using the factory provided dust collection system?) (And yes I know I am not using the Caddilac makes / models of equipment. Using what I can afford and am getting reccomendations from friends on...)

Ryobi BTS21 10" Table Saw.
Wolfcraft 6157 Router Table with Ryobi R161 fixed base router.
Black & Decker Firestorm FS100L Compound Miter Saw.
Black & Decker Firestorm FS1200RP Plunge Router.

In particular, the routers and router table do pitch out an awful lot of sawdust compared to say the miter saw.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi dbhost

11/4 inch is pretty small to absorb any amount of sawdust. If you are on a tight budget I would still recommend going to at least a Shop-Vac, or comparable, with at least a 21/2 inch hose. Busy Bee[and others] sell 21/2 inch pvc systems that have all the connecting pieces, clamps, elbows, tees, etc. for from $75 to $150. I got mine from busy Bee, on sale, for $75. It has about 27 feet of run, and came with enough fittings to set it up. You would still need to buy the extra hoods for the variuos equipment. www.busybeetools.com.
Gerry

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Yeah I kind of thought the small diameter hose was a bit less than what would be ideal. It's a Shop Vac Hangup http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.asp?ID=174&HdnSource=index&StoreID=

I picked it not specifically out of budget (but as you can tell from my equipment choices, budget is an issue), but also out of space considerations. I have a small garage, that has a LOT of duties, and I wanted to get as much equipment off the floor as possible.

I guess if it comes down to it, I will have to use the Shop Vac to clean up afterwards. I was hoping for a quick & easy way to reduce the amount of effort that would take...

I must admit, the tank and hose sizes for the hangup model are a bit less than desirable...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You can always mount the bigger vac on a shelf, up out of the way.
The collector tubes can be wall mounted, and you can run hose from the blast gates to your equipment.

Gerry

·
Senior Member Grandpa
349 Posts
Some of the smaller Shop Vac's still have the same size inlet as the larger Vacs and will use the Big Shop Vac hose. It isn't hardly 2 1/2 but is much better than the Standard small hose. You can pick up the bigger hose kit at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot ect.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I think your existing 1-1/4 hose would probably handle a belt or pad sander, and maybe a skilsaw and jig saw, but anything much bigger would likely generate too much volume.

Gerry

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are 2 variables to consider with dust collection: volume and velocity. The smaller hose has a high velocity (good for sanders, etc.) but low volume. Large dedicated dust collectors have high volume (cfm) and low velocity.

Also, with the router, some of the chips might clog the 1-1/4" hose.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I should probably just be fair and clue folks in here. I am NOT a working woodworking professional. Just a home hobbyist. I am not needing to keep up with the flying debris while I am working, but I am trying to avoid...

I am NOT allergic to taking my compressed air to the tools and blowing the sawdust off, or shop vac-ing it away. I just figured it might be easier to have everything hooked up to the shop vac previously.

BTW. The Firestorm Router, and the Wolfcraft router table both have direct fittings for the 1.25" hose of my Shop Vac, The remainder of the equipment leaves very little on the shop floor, and I simply need to keep on top of things with the broom and shop vac...

Having said what I just did, I have a product suggestion for the shop vac folks...

The Shop Vac hangup I bought is ideal in diameter to fit in the space I have, as well as my 4 other buddies that have these in their garages. And the 4.5HP motor is nice and powerful. HOWEVER, the hose diameter on this model is too small. The pro uses the 2.5" hose which is MUCH better. ALSO, the tank is too small. 3.5 gallons just doesn't cut it. I know they make the hangups with small tanks for a reason, but seriously, keep the diameter, and the motor, but just make the tank taller, to accomodate, say 15 - 20 gallons? That, with the 2.5" hose setup would be a happy thing. Of course with woodworking use, even a 15 gallon tank would fill up with a pro shop...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts