Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to share with you guys the new dust collection jig i made for my lathe, mainly for pen and bottle stopper turning, collects 100% of the dust and about 70% of the chips.. i have plans available if anyone is interested, but i did make some modification while building it, so the plans need to be updated first, this is on the Delta 46-460 lathe

·
7,222 Posts
Very well done Dema. :thumbsup:

I can see that for folks turning similar sized items, this would really help to reduce cleanup.

I was roughing down a bowl blank the other day and ended up with several inches of shavings on the floor, even though I have a dust collector hose at the back of the lathe, but no surround like you made.

How did you get the curve in the plexi-glass?

Good idea for the hinge. I noticed you did an interim cleanoff.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dave Paine said:
Very well done Dema. :thumbsup:

I can see that for folks turning similar sized items, this would really help to reduce cleanup.

I was roughing down a bowl blank the other day and ended up with several inches of shavings on the floor, even though I have a dust collector hose at the back of the lathe, but no surround like you made.

How did you get the curve in the plexi-glass?

Good idea for the hinge. I noticed you did an interim cleanoff.
Thanks Dave.. The plexy glass was heated in an oven over a mold. I had to make the glass flip up to get easier access to the blank without removing the jig.. I did clean off the glass, i think it still has some static from removing the protective film. Im sure if the static is gone the dust won't stick to it :)

I think it would be possible to make a jig for bowl blanks, but you would need different sizes..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice job and nice video!

I made a small hood for my lathe a few weeks ago and they work great. I only have a shop vac with a smaller hose and had to test and adjust mine to get good chip collection. After testing it I found that if you move the center line of the hose above the center line of the lathe you will get better chip collection. I suspect that this is because there are virtually no chips below, they all come of the blank on the high side. I noticed in your video it appeared that after you turned that piece down a bit that the chip collection gets a little better than at the very first even with the dust collector and big hose.

It will really help with clean up after turning. After I made my dust hood I turned three pens and had very little chips on the bench and floor. So little that the wifey ask me if I had cleaned up already after the pens I had just turned. She does not like the mess I leave in the garage.

However, its not the chips that concern me its the fine dust! I turned some bloodwood awhile back and almost could not breath the next day even though I always wear a respirator. You will notice that helps a lot when sanding your projects! Because it will get all of the fine dust that comes off the blanks.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
preacherman said:
Nice job and nice video!

I made a small hood for my lathe a few weeks ago and they work great. I only have a shop vac with a smaller hose and had to test and adjust mine to get good chip collection. After testing it I found that if you move the center line of the hose above the center line of the lathe you will get better chip collection. I suspect that this is because there are virtually no chips below, they all come of the blank on the high side. I noticed in your video it appeared that after you turned that piece down a bit that the chip collection gets a little better than at the very first even with the dust collector and big hose.

It will really help with clean up after turning. After I made my dust hood I turned three pens and had very little chips on the bench and floor. So little that the wifey ask me if I had cleaned up already after the pens I had just turned. She does not like the mess I leave in the garage.

However, its not the chips that concern me its the fine dust! I turned some bloodwood awhile back and almost could not breath the next day even though I always wear a respirator. You will notice that helps a lot when sanding your projects! Because it will get all of the fine dust that comes off the blanks.
You are right. The smaller the piece the better the chip collection. The curved glass makes it better and not have to have the hose in the center, i want to design a better one soon. I have access to software at work that can simulate air flow and turbulence. But i don't know if i need to make such a simple jig so complicated lol..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts