Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to mount a spindle blank into a oneway stronghold jaw chuck (it's going to be a large chess piece) My problem is that i cut the blank a little too short with not enough waste room. If I create a spigot to fit into the chuck I will not have quite enough room to be able to part off a flat bottom next to the chuck jaws. I probably only need about 1 cm or 3/8" more room to accomplish this successfully. Is there any way I can somehow use some waste wood to help mount this so that my piece is a tiny bit longer? Is gluing a waste block on the end the only way, or are there some non-gluing tricks I can try?

Thanks for anyone willing to give me advice!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not sure how big of a piece we are talking about but when I was turning some finials for ornaments last year I used a piece with a tenon that fit my chuck, squared off the face and then used ca glue to attach what was basically a pen blank to it. This worked very well for me. I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this and someone else may have some other ideas. Good luck.

John

ps: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.

My blank is 4 inches in diameter. How do you square off the face so that it is exactly perpendicular to the lathe axis AND flat. I ask this because I've already roughed the blank to a cylinder and I don't want it to be unaligned when I remount it with the glued on waste block (in the chuck). That would require removing more wood for truing the cylinder (which I don't want to do).

·
Registered
912 Posts
How do you square off the face so that it is exactly perpendicular to the lathe axis AND flat.
I use a parting tool to square off the face of the waste block in my chuck that I will glue to. You could use a band saw or similar to square up your stock. However with this method you are going to probably be somewhat out of true. Not tremendously but some none the less. Might not work in your case since you have already rounded your stock.

4 inch diameter for a chess piece, you'll have to eat your wheaties before you sit down to play.:laughing: Sounds neat though.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts