Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (12) has been wanting to build something so I helped him build a small shelf for his grandmother for Christmas. I let him make all the measurements and I just double checked them before he made the cuts. He did a good job using the tools and did not get in a hurry. Once it was assembled, his attention span went away so we put everything away. We'll try and get it finished this week. I'll post pics as the progress continues. Thanks, Steven

P.S. - How does the woodworking world feel about letting 12 year old kids run the saws? He only uses them while I am there with him. He does a good job and quickly reminds me to put my glasses and ear protection on.

Making cuts with the table saw:

Sanding the boards after cutting them out:

Making measurements for the curves:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I love seeing this. My pawpaw always let us work in the shop growing up. Might be where I first caught the bug.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
Looks good! I can't speak for the rest of the woodworking world, but as far as I'm concerned that's not too young. By law, a 10 year old can hunt here in WI as long as he/she is directly supervised and there is only one gun between the parent/child. Just don't leave him unsupervised.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice job.
My kids were working under my supervision with power tools including the table saw by that age.

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you have a woodworking "Lifer" in your family. Really great looking project. Glad to see him using goggles and hearing protection!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great to see youngsters getting involved in woodworking. Ive feared that with all the technology out now that kids would no longer take interest in the trades. Ive even noticed a lot of the shop classes in my area schools being renovated into other things outside of trades which is to bad.

Great job on the shelf!! Looking forward to seeing more of your projects!

·
preserving the past
137 Posts
What a terrific job and a wonderful way to bond. I remember teaching my son in the shop when he was young. He was one of the few kids who actually made his pinewood derby car for scouts. He never won first place but I will never forget seeing some of the other kids ask their fathers "dad, which one is mine again". The real prize of the race was that my son and I worked on it together just like your son and you did. My boy did not go into the carpentry field like me, but he is good with his hands and he still stops over every now and then to just hang with me in my shop. Believe me...you built more than just a shelf that day...

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I started woodworking when I was 10 under my great grandfathers supervision and instruction. I will never forget his 14" tablesaw. That thing scared the living you know what out of me. I learned to respect all of the tools very quickly.

I see no problem with your 12 year old son using the power tools in your shop. In fact I encourage it. I have a 8 year old son and he likes to work in the shop with me. My son isn't ready to use the table saw yet, but he does use other machines. I believe my son could safely use the table saw, except there is one thing holding me back from allowing it. I don't think he is tall enough yet to safely operate it. As soon as he is tall enough I'll allow him to start using it.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Winchester 'muffs and I'm on your team already.
12yr old and power tools? No biggie = you instruct, he's garbed up OK.
Let us move on to the project.
The result is great. You're a good coach.

Let him go. He will go away. Far away places and times. So be it.
You can only hope that he will come back to it all some day.
I have done all that.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Great first project. My 4 year old has used the ROS so far, as has my just turned 2 year old. Mostly I held it with their hands underneath mine, but I personally have no problem with children using power tools as long as they're being careful. My oldest helped build her own kayak at 7 and definitely used some tools to do it. She also helped steam-bend some of the wood for the boat.

Careful guidance is all that is required to make children be safe while doing these kinds of things and I believe the younger they learn that they CAN do it, the better.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My Grandda had me making stuff when I was just barely able to see over the table saw. I've had the bug ever since, but not always the means to do anything.

Now all 3 of my boys are into wood working and two of the girls. :thumbsup:

I think its great that your son wants to learn and has the ability to produce such a great first project.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
Careful guidance is all that is required to make children be safe while doing these kinds of things and I believe the younger they learn that they CAN do it, the better.
I agree with this up to a certain point. The child has to have enough maturity and understanding to know that the tools they are using can be dangerous. Even then there are some tools they probably shouldn't be using.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah, it depends on the child whether they can handle tools safely. My father was a carpenter so I was using power hand tools from a very young age. We were his free labour so he taught us young.

That aside, the shelf looks great!

·
Registered
114 Posts
kids in the shop

I had my 8 year old grandson staining parts for a nightstand I built for him. Didn't take too long before he got a flippant attitude and stain was spattered all around. He isn't ready for the shop, but he can paint if he has a mind to. Right now he would rather stare at a computer screen. His 1 year old little brother watches everything I do. He has potential for being a shop guy. !

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Good on you! Cub Scouts start the boys working with their hands at 7. Unfortunately, many of the dads do the work for their sons, so it's good to see you getting him to do the work.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I'm glad to see someone who's young and interested in woodworking. We need more of that. He did a great job and should be very proud. So should his daddy :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts