Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as not to continue hijacking BigJoe's thread, here is my sharpening set-up/system/method or whatever you want to call it. There are many other ways, this is just how I learned/what works best for me.

First is the grinder and Wolverine jig with the varigrind tool holder.

Machine Tool Machine tool Bench grinder Tool accessory

Notice the small plastic piece to the left of the grinder with the penny? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/21/94/-/2057/Jamieson-Grinding-Jig-Guide This is how I set the amount of tool that protrudes from the varigrind. You can make your own by drilling a block of wood the proper depth. I've CA glued a penny in side the block and to the plastic jig because it's easier/cheaper to replace a worn out penny than to re-drill a new block or replace the plastic jig.

Latch Wood Door handle Door

Tool Workbench Machine tool Machine Clamp

I use the depth that recommended in Doug Thompson's guide. http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/images/extra/Sharpening.pdf

I used the Raptor tools at a class at CSUSA and immediately brought these home. They make repeatability super easy and this is very important, especially to new turners as they may struggle with appropriate/consistent angles. They are relatively inexpensive. I believe John Lucas has done a video or thread about making your own.

Here I've shown setting the angle of the v-cradle for a 45 degree spindle gouge.

Tool

In this one I show setting the platform at 50 degrees for my spindle roughing gouge. Again, these angles are what I like/what works for me.

Arm Leg Wood Hand Finger

I am not affiliated with CSUSA. I have taken two classes there and the folks are top notch. I highly recommend them for classes or supplies to all turners.

·
Registered
996 Posts
This post is very helpful to me. Now I know how bad my sharpening set up really is. I didn't really want to put a lot of money into it but it looks like I am going to. Woodcraft had there 8" slow speed grinder on sale for $100 now so I might just order one. The grinder I have now is really underpowered and slows down way too much when sharpening.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
steve i set up my sharpening jig tonight but i still have a question
in your post you said you set your varigrind to the angle in the link but it doesnt make it clear where its set unless im missing something
enlighten me please

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
If you go to the Thompson page there is a picture of the Varigring jig set at the angle they reccomend. I dont think they ever clarify a particular angle, you just lay your jig on the picture and set it like thiers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts