Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I was going to wait until I finished this project, but I'm gitty about it thought I would post some progress pictures. The table gets its name from my inspiration from the Shakers and the Japanese craftsman George Nakashima. The Legs/Stretchers and top Rails were cut from 12/4 Cherry. The side panels and cabinet doors and top will be curly maple.

I'm still having trouble figuring out how I'm going to fasten the bottom. Any ideas? I thought I would run a cleat in the front and cut tenons on the end grain. The mortises in the stretchers could have slop on the back side to give the bottom room to move. The inside will be divided into 3 spaces with the center left open in front and back for components. I'm kinda figuring the assembly as I go.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It took some head scratching to get the cove to work on the top rails. The tenons were sized with a rabbit block plane.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,748 Posts
Beatutiful Work.... Ben

If you designed it and drew it, you did a great job.:thumbsup:
Then the wood selection and craftsmanship follow as well!
The finished work will be something to see. ;) bill

Reactions: ben arnott

·
Someday-flying furniture
50 Posts
Wow. I love the detailed craftmanship in this piece, you give me somthing to aspire too!

Reactions: ben arnott

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I can't see any Nakashima in it, but it doesn't matter to me it is very beautiful. Love the design and as mentioned your choise of material and execution are A1. Can't wait to see it finished. I hope you aren't going to stain it. Just my own peculiarity I guess but I do not like to see the beauty of natural wood hidden. If a craftsman wants a darker piece he/she should select a darker species. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I'm with you Tex on the overuse of stain. The only color I will be using is tint on the maple to pop the grain. I don't plan to darken the wood, just build on the natural contrast of the curl figure. I'll sand off the surface after dying the board enough for it to soak into the curl.

I quit my job as a carpenter a couple of weeks ago (long story... has something to do with working for a morally bankrupt GC), and while looking for another job/career, I'm trying to finish building this piece. The rub is, I can't spend all the time I want in the workshop because my loved ones would rather see me look for a job! I'm building this piece on spec. However, its only my third piece of furniture. So the idea of it being a financially sound pursuit right now is not being greeted with huge support.

Its killing me not to be in the workshop right now working on it. But I have a bunch of applications out, and my resume is in order. Hopefully I get an offer.

·
where's my table saw?
27,748 Posts
Job vs Career

Ben I think that you have a career in building furniture rather than a carpenter's job. You may have to work as a carpenter or almost anything you can survive on until your "career" gets off the ground. This piece will open some doors for you and make sure take some "show" type photos with good lighting and a suitable background drop curtain or photo studio roll paper.

Market your self on You Tube, make a video, get hits, take orders what ever you can think of. You have real talent and obviously love what you do. You may also try art studios for new commissions and try to get a piece in on consignment. To bad you didn't make 2 of these but knowing how at this point will make the second one easy. Mass has a ton of furniture makers so the competition may be fierce. Try places out of state, Santa Fe comes to mind...lots of money, great art town. I donno. Fine woodworking will publish your photos in the "Readers Gallery" section. See if they will do an article on you. Another place is Woodshop News for personal articles.
Any magazine like Wood, would like a step by step photo array like you have posted here.
Just throwin' out some ideas .....Best to you, :thumbsup: bill

·
Registered
702 Posts
Very nice. A few of the those cuts definitely look like "head-scratchers", but they came out beautiful. And the curves in the design are perfect.
What finish are you planning for the cherry? I do a bit of cherry and was just interested.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ben,

I think you've hit a home run! A beautiful design and creative execution. Some of your techniques are very clever.

I too am a carpenter and am aspiring to become a full time professional furniture maker.

Your table reminds me of some of my own projects.

Keep up the great work!

Bret

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts