Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....so i've decided its time to get my free standing router table built. So Here is the plan for it......i'm utilizing a jessem router lift for mounting the router....and the top is going to be 34x24.....cabinet is going to be 40 inches high....

I'm really needing bit storage as I think a 35 dollar roundover bit rolled off the workbench and ended up in the trashcan.....last week....

Anyhow....so here it goes.....

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Left side.....the long space is going to be a multi level router bit pull out......on the right side the top section is going to be a power switch....the next drawer down is going to be for wrenches and whatnot......the two drawers below that are for misc. router parts...Bottom two sections are going to be for extra router bases.....plate jointer....ect. Anyhow....here is cutting down the top.....and gluing it together....obviously slightly oversized at this point....

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress was a bit slow this weekend....top is now trimmed to size and is getting maple banding installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks good man!!! I'm also gearing up to build a router table mine is gonna be somewhat smaller tho. I have to keep things compact and easy to put away since my wife still insists in putting her car in the garage lol oh well she's supportive of my wood habit so it's a fair trade!!!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well no more progress today.....I searched and searched for the roundover bit that I think ended up in the trash.....Pretty sure its gone.....so on to router bit buying instead of building...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SCORE!!! I found it....apparently I used it a few weeks ago in my spare router table and forgot it was there. Back to work!!!!

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Chop chop! we are waiting..

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Laminate installed....I think I'll give it a day or toe before routing the edges. I plan on rounding over the edges.

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Ryan, how thick is your top? Looks like 2 layers of 3/4" MDF but wasn't sure. On a side note I'm excited of this build. I almost bought a set of online plans from somewhere (woodcraft or Rockler I think) that looked similar. I was hesitant about the top, but this build may fix that.

Mark

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The top is 2 layers of MDF, edged with 1/2 inch thick maple. And then all covered with Formica....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok......so i've been wrestling with how to cut the hole for the lift......The jessem template is 26 bucks for a chunk of mdf they cut to the right size.....which is BS if you ask me......it ought to come with. Anyhow.....I was digging around online and found this....

http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/100/6-step-router-plate-installation.pdf

I may try this but with a forstner bit in the corners to avoid drilling all the way through....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got back to work today on the router table this weekend. Before I could do much else I needed to get plywood for the cabinet. I swung down to home depot and picked up a couple sheets of 3/4 inch birch plywood. Suprisingly......it's actually full 3/4 inch plywood.....at a big box store!!

Anyhow.....Cut the first sheet down today, side panels are now to size and the dados are cut on the top and bottom. Pictures to follow in the next day or two....

·
Registered
71 Posts
This looks great. For now I bought a pre-fab table and then mounted it to a simple 3x4" table top on 4x4 legs. I wanted function over form so I could work on making better, more complicated things later. I'm almost done setting up Wood Shop version 1. Then it will be practicing for version 2.

Nice build!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts