Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy some Festool stuff for the shop for Christmas....But then I decided on this........

Machine Cylinder

Product Machine

I'm going to have to put a small addition on the back of the shop to make room for it, but it's gonna be nice to have some decent dust collection going on.....;) ;) ;)

Shed Outhouse Barn Siding Building

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, on another WW site I frequent, the way of saying to you things like...
I'm jealous
Nice score
Great buy
Neat new tool, etc, etc
They just say "You suck"
So, there ya go...

Seriously though...you suck!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...But......I......I.....been savin' for a long time.......:yes: :yes:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I've been seeing those ads and thingking to myself that old 2 HP collector of mine has got to be replaced.
that cyclone design can take 2HP and do alot more with it than my old style.
Give us the juicy details. How many CFM?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5 hp.......1973 cfm.....I've had my last day of suckin' sawdust in there all day....;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well instead of "saving for a long time" you can dig up Wood Magagazine #100. It has how to make your own cyclone. I got a 2 Hp motor (should have gotten a 3 Hp oh well) There are several upgrades in later magazines like the hole in the sid of the trash can to see how much is in there. The third picture is my "dust pan." Oh you will notice I went out and got HIGH QUALITY tubing too. :laughing::laughing: Hey can't beat FREE for carpet tubes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once ya look at one in pieces like this it's pretty clear that ya could build a pretty nice one yourself.....

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
In one of my semi-recent woodworking mags they give a highly detailed plan complete with patterns for the sheet meatal, source list for all of the parts and exact measurments for eveything.
You have to be willing to trade your tie for it though.
I'd rather have the time than the money so I am going to go Burl's route.

·
Registered
115 Posts
HoKay! I scanned the pages from Wood Magazine #100 and some later pages of upgrades. (sorry for the duplication :blush:) I did not find all the upgrades. One says to extend the intake INTO the cyclone about 4 inches to increase the "suck." The other was a a vacume gage that tells you when the filter is full. Here is how I attached the muffler and filter in my very small shop. [I have 175 square feet but the ceiling is high]

OOPS the Zip file is toooooo bigggggg. ( 93 Meg) If you want the scanned magazine pages just drop me an e-mail and I'll send it along. Sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually I built this two years ago. :laughing: The shelf you see on the right has all my magazines and the Wood magazines are all in order. Mostly I build things FOR my shop and not things IN my shop. :laughing::laughing: The only thing I have actually built for others consumption was a display case for my daughters wedding bouquet. Sucker lasted longer than her marriage. :thumbdown::thumbdown: Oh well dirty laundry.

One thing I do make is memory boxes. Here in Sacramento the local hospital has a terminal cancer ward for children. I make unfinished boxes for the kids to draw on and put things in and after they die the hospital gives them to the parents. As a person who has lost kids I would have a hard time opening one but I know is a comfort later. Anyway makes a great excuse to make jigs and such since it is "For the kids"

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've converted the TIFF ( Big Sucker) to JPF (little sucker) so the zip file is now less than 10 K so if you want I can send you the Wood Magazine #100 article on the cyclone vacume system plus some mods from later magazines. I've tried to upload it but something isn't working???

·
Registered
115 Posts
In the interest of disclosure . . . I'm not the only one that makes them. There is a VERY active woodworker club here in Sacramento. Sacramento Area Woodworkers SAW. One man is the contact person for the hospital.

One funny story about that. I went to the local (closest to me anyway) wood supplyer and told them the sad story. The owner told me he had some wood that was "off inventory" [I read that meaning they were about to throw it away :eek::eek:] It was UGLY and Dirty :thumbdown::thumbdown: but he said he would give it to me for a case of beer for the crew. Said it was something called Red Gum. Took home 83 BF (yep eighty three!!) for $19 worth of beer. Got it home and resawed it and it is beautiful! Creamy color with dark red inclusions. Don't know what it will look like finished since the boxes must be UN-finished.

Life is good :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
P. S. someone sent me a "private message" but my browser blocked the popup. :thumbdown: I fixed that so please send again. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts