Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I was pretty excited getting a new table saw for Christmas! I put it together and have it all set up now ready for use. I'm not exactly sure on how long it took as I had lunch and supper and a run to town during the process. Also took pictures all along the way thinking I may do sortof a build thread.

Overall I am impressed with the saw, but it did have some quirks.

I changed the motor over to 240V and changed the power cord out for a 18' length of soow.

The saw starts very smooth and is less noisy than the saw I am replacing. (Old craftsman which I should never had bought, lesson learned)

Miter slot is perfectly aligned with blade after about 20 minutes of adjustments. Fence was perfect from factory minus have to reduce the tension on the clamp at back rail.

One steel stamped wing is bowed in middle by a little bit but should not affect the quality of cut. 2 of the base side panels have dents, and one of the 24 screw holes was off were the nut was welded to panel.

On to making myself some jigs.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Looks good......i'd ditch the steel sides and build some nice wood/formica wings for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you provide some details on how you swapped out the entire cord for a 240v? I'd like to avoid just swapping out the plugs as suggested in the instructions.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I believe he bought cord material, and then added an end. I tried hard to find a reasonably priced 220 cord for my saw when I swapped it over, but it wasn't happening. So I did put a new end on, the best of the three grades they had, and have no complaints so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you only have to replace the cord between the switch and the wall? Or the one between the switch and saw too?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Just the wiring on the motor, and then the plug to the wall. The cord itself is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! I was hoping to be able to swap out the entire cord just in case I move and no longer have a 240v, but maybe I'll just go with the plug swap as you suggest.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ESJ7 said:
Thanks! I was hoping to be able to swap out the entire cord just in case I move and no longer have a 240v, but maybe I'll just go with the plug swap as you suggest.
Just to be clear, you do need to change wiring at the motor in addition to changing out the cord end.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts

In that case, you could just change the motor wiring again, and swap out the plug end.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts