Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got myself a keeper. Here she is

image-2702085769.jpg

Ok so a little assembly was in order

It did include a few extras as you can see scattered around the floor

image-3244203534.jpg

All assembled and on the stand, almost ready to go. Just have an alignment issue to fix and it will all be apples.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Dave enjoy the lath.I have to agree with Manuka Jock I have the Teknatool 1500 which i think was one of the first Novas and will not swap it for any thing as i can do all I want to on it. Did one mod variable speed. Regards Tambotie:thumbsup::thumbsup: PS have two I think of the first nova scroll chucks with tommy bar and c spanner which fulfill my needs.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was involved in making it variable speed?

do I need to change the motor to do that?

·
Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
What was involved in making it variable speed?

do I need to change the motor to do that?
shouldn't its just electrics , add a vsd or vfd to the motor you can get single phase ones. The down side is you might lose power as go lower down. So keep the stepped pulley set up to offset this. Unless Teknatool will sell you the necessary, might be pricey tho'.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
shouldn't its just electrics , add a vsd or vfd to the motor you can get single phase ones. The down side is you might lose power as go lower down. So keep the stepped pulley set up to offset this. Unless Teknatool will sell you the necessary, might be pricey tho'.
Hughie
does that just go between the plug and power point or does it need to be hardwired to the motor somehow?

While I'm at it the tailstock sits about 1.5 mm to low, whats the best fix on that?

might be able to do a platter this week

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow that cost more than the lathe

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave is that with a pointed morse drive in each end , the quill all the way in , and both stocks tightened down tight ?

Jock
There is a lever missing at the headstock but I believe that end is locked tight. It does not move. The lock pin on the otherside from the chuck / spur has a lock pin which is screwed all the way in.

The lever that is missing is the one that sticks out from underneath at the front of the unit

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yeah , I know the one my DVR has it too . I noticed in the photo that its not there , could make swiveling the head a bit tricky .

1.5 mil is a fair bit out eh . I wonder if the tailstock has been rocked back a tad .
Is it sitting square on the bed , is the extended quill parallel to the bed , and is the stock plumb and level ?

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not checked if the quill is parallel to the bed up and down. Looking down on the tailstock it runs out and needs to be rotated clockwise about 2 mm. The bed guide in the bottom of the tailstock appears to be adjustable with 2 Allen key screws. They are tight as and as yet i have been unable to ease them.

image-3482255161.jpg

If I can loosen them I am sure I can get the side to side alignment fixed. It is the up and down alignment that looks like it will be the bigger issue.

I have emailed a mate in the US as well and waiting to see if he has any ideas. Not sure when he will check his mail. It is about 8:30 Sunday morning there

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Dave ,
on page 2 of this PDF , opposite the diagram of the wooden bench , is a solution to an alignment problem .

You might need the missing headstock lever to fix it .

And below that the tailstock adjustment gets a mention .

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nova %203000%20lathe%20center%20alignment%20issue&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teknatool.com%2FDownloads%2FMore%2520woodturning%2520-%2520Newspaper.pdf&ei=pgv1UY3wLcXvlAWh64C4CQ&usg=AFQjCNHZGto5Jy39hY6_1SGR_mJ1hiqJEQ&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dGI

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at it now - does it have forward and reverse does it?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yeah , I think so , or maybe that depended on the type of motor that went with it .
The 3000 that the Otago Guild had was varible speed , as was the wee Comet , and they both had reverse

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is not variable speed, I did not notice any other switches but will check in the morning. I think a reverse switch can be fitted retrospectively fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Its good to have that for sure .
I turned a 700mm x 65mm plaque the other day .
Swiveled the head , kicked it into reverse , and worked to the right of center :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts