Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have been holding off on sharing my progress until I made some headway....I am now ready to start sharing.
Last month I had a company come out and build me a shed (I didnt have the time to do it myself and I wouldnt have trusted my work if I did).
After that, is where my solo work begins.....
I decided to close off 2/3 of the shed ceiling with an attic (we needed storage space, plus it means less space for cooling). Its a small attic, but I am happy with how it came out. The ceiling height under the attic is about 7'3". I left the other 1/3 of the shed open and it will have 8 ft side walls with about 9.5 ft ceiling height when I am done with it.
I have some "electrician helper" experience. So I wired the shed with electrical and had a electrician friend come out to help me hooking it up to the panel at the house. I put in a lot of outlets! I didnt run any 220 cause i dont have any 220 tools. I figured I will add it when and if I need it.
I also completely insulated the walls and I am still working to insulate the ceilling. After much contemplation, I decided to go with drywall over wood for the walls. I have never had the opportunity to dabble with drywall work, so I thought this would be a good learning time....I am very pleased with how it came out. No seams! :) I liked the idea of plywood, but it was much more expensive and is more flammable. Plus, like I said, I wanted to learn how to do drywall. (hope to never have to do it again though...not fun).
For the ceiling, I have decided to clean up some old pallets and use them to give the shop a nice rustic look. I think this is coming out well, but is a lot of work. But since I am broke....pallets are free and I am happy. It is still a big work in progress.
This week, I am working to paint the flooring. I am covering the seam as best as possible but expect them to still appear after painting. It wont be perfect, but its my easiest and cheapest option for right now. I am going to paint it with slate grey gloss porch floor paint. Fingers crossed....
After the floor dries....the tools will begin to move in and I will start to work on benches, shelving, and finish insulating the roof and the pallet ceiling.
Anyways, without further rambling here are some photos....I will add more as I progress. Thanks for looking and please feel free to give me any and all suggestions. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. It is very exciting, but I want to move in NOW! Patience Patience.....

20130719_181357.jpg 20130724_235115.jpg 20130814_231808.jpg 20130831_144015.jpg 20130902_220606.jpg

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Looks great so far.

I've been toying with the idea for a shed as my next shop. The main reason our house is for sale and all the houses we've been looking at just don't have the space for an actual shop or they are in City limits which won't allow one. I'm not sure a 12x20 would work, but I don't know. My current shed is a 12x16 and I have a hard time thinking 4' more will work. I just have too many "big" tools.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great so far.

I've been toying with the idea for a shed as my next shop. The main reason our house is for sale and all the houses we've been looking at just don't have the space for an actual shop or they are in City limits which won't allow one. I'm not sure a 12x20 would work, but I don't know. My current shed is a 12x16 and I have a hard time thinking 4' more will work. I just have too many "big" tools.
Yes, it's a tight fit, but it is bigger than the space I was taking up in the garage. Plus I still have the garage for wood storage and such..... My wife just doesn't know that I plan to still use the garage as "overflow"... One thing at a time. :)

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
davester84 said:
Yes, it's a tight fit, but it is bigger than the space I was taking up in the garage. Plus I still have the garage for wood storage and such..... My wife just doesn't know that I plan to still use the garage as "overflow"... One thing at a time. :)
I currently have taken over our house garage. At least for the most part. I guess time will tell what I get to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A suggestion; instead of the two plug outlets switch to the four plug ones. I have a 10x20 and wished I'd done that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A suggestion; instead of the two plug outlets switch to the four plug ones. I have a 10x20 and wished I'd done that.
I did do a few double outlets.. I have 3 double outlets in the ceiling. And one on one of the walls. It's too late for me to change them now that the walls are finished, but I think I have enough. I have over 30+ outlets in the shed which makes over 60 plugs. Some are below bench height and some above bench height. I should be good, plus when I build my workbenches, I plan to build in some power strips.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
nbo10 said:
How does the city limit workshops? Is it buildable sq-ft per lot area or something.
The issue is any structure other than your home. You need a permit to build or remodel anything and they don't generally approve anything bigger than 8x8 for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
For me it is the HOA that dictates specs. 120 sq ft and eves have to be lower than the house. That's why I made mine 10x12 and slightly less than 8 feet sides.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've been busy with "life", but I have managed to get some more progress the past few weeks...
I finished the pallet ceiling under the attic (except for access hole).
20130914_202739.jpg

I officially moved in my tools and now use it as a workshop.
I found a old entertainment center on the side of the road last week and put wheels on it and made it my portable drill press table.
20130929_203753.jpg

I also built me a peg board cabinet (from woodshop magazine) and built me a workbench using hardwood flooring and some t-track which was inspired by BernieL.
20131005_145818.jpg
I also installed the drop-down casters from rockler on the bench. I made the bench the right height to also work as an outfeed table for my table saw should I need to have extra support, I can just wheel it over. I am pretty impressed by these flip up casters. Gonna order another set for my 2nd bench that I hope to build in a couple weeks.

Still have lots of more things to do....but progress takes time! I am enjoying it!
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the attic floor palletizzzed too ? Man. That's a touch of class !
No, just the bottom that you see from the floor.... The inside is just plywood. Everyone that come by my shop seems to really like the look and feel of it. But boy was it painful taking those pallets apart! (still have the other half of shop to do)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts