Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually she has a big Mulberry tree as well that may be more than I can handle.

The walnut was about 28" in diameter but only went up about six feet before forming large branches which I cut into saw logs as well. I did not get anything very long, averaging about 7'.

It has been a least a decade since I've taken down a large tree. My old sack of bones has been letting me know how much hard work this is. I took my time because it was close enough to hit her house although it was weighted to easily fall away form it and into and open field. I removed a couple of branches and loose limbs that I thought might cause a problem. For extra precaution I put a rope in it to start it in the right direction. Well, all that worked a little too well, I still had five inches to go to get to my ideal 1" hinge when it started over. I made it about 75% through the butt with my cut and 25% split off. Oh well I still had 3/4 of a nice log.

I am a little disappointed in the amount of sap wood versus heart wood. Oh well up to this point I only had some chainsaw gas for expenses.

Got er all cleaned up and the logs drug over to my place and began pondering how to make it into lumber. I should note here that all the work so far had been done with my almost antique Homelite Super XL chainsaw that I purchased new in 1975. I am now thinking about this old Alaska chainsaw mill I have up in the loft having been passed over by any buyers at a few of my garage sales. Would the beat up old saw power that mill? With the 20 inch bar it would only cut about 12 inches max. and using a standard chain it cut a couple of boards OK.

Maybe the old saw could do it after all was my attitude when I was driving to the saw shop to improve my saw. I found a 30" Sthil bar and a skip tooth chain and after looking at it quickly I decided it would work somehow. Much to my surprise the new parts fit right on with only a slight enlargement to the adjuster pin hole and by the end of the day I had a dozen boards cut up to 21" at the widest. The saw worked amazingly well!

Now I just have to figure out how to cut the bigger logs

For now, Bret

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
I tried that once

I quartered the logs first, about 5 ft long. That took a while as ripping is much different than crosscutting. Even a 1/4 of that log is heavy. Next time I made them 3 ft and 4 ft long. Then I made a roller stand to support them on my bandsaw for ripping them to thickness. It's a lot of heavy lifting.

Here's a thread on bandsaw resawing:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/resaw-sled-7552/

Yeah, some pictures would be cool! Unless you were too busy working to stop for them..... :blink:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep there is definately a lot of sap wood. I'll end up with a few nice boards but I'm glad I haven't dumped any money into this endeavor as the quality of the lumber isn't that great.

I couldn't really justify the expense of bringing in a portable saw mill, thus the chainsaw mill.

Bret

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
There is an amazing amount of sap wood- is the butt log the same?
Kind of a cool effect though the way you have it laid out.
Lot of work getting those boards- makes my bones ache just looking at them. :thumbsup:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
mike1950 said:
There is an amazing amount of sap wood- is the butt log the same? Kind of a cool effect though the way you have it laid out. Lot of work getting those boards- makes my bones ache just looking at them. :thumbsup:
+1 I to like the way you have them laid out.
Kinda spooky in a way? Or maybe it's just that time of year. Laughing!!!!! Whatever it is? It's cool!!!! Nice work on the milling.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Bret, I like the look...BUT...I'm not sold on that it's Black walnut with that much sapwood and the bark is a little different...I've always heard of white walnut (butternut) but it's not really white. With all the wood you've worked AND you seen the tree alive and bearing the nuts, I'll take your word.
Great find and congrats, I've seen enough of your work here to know it'll be some awesome pieces!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Bret, I like the look...BUT...I'm not sold on that it's Black walnut with that much sapwood and the bark is a little different...I've always heard of white walnut (butternut) but it's not really white. With all the wood you've worked AND you seen the tree alive and bearing the nuts, I'll take your word.
Great find and congrats, I've seen enough of your work here to know it'll be some awesome pieces!!!

I got to agree with Tim on this the bark just doesn't look like black walnut to me.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
IT is walnut- at least I sure think so.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could possibly be an English walnut

Now you got me thinking. It's definitely walnut. I assumed it was black walnut by what the neighbor told me and also all the walnuts on the ground was like walking on marbles. First thing I had to do was rake all the walnuts away from the base of the tree so I could work safely. I'll study the branch and leaf architecture tomorrow and give you my final opinion. If I can still find some limbs with fresh enough leaves I'll take a photo and show ya.

IMG_0648[1].jpg

I cut these small slabs/boards this afternoon. It took me about two hours to produce what you see.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Now I realize they're not exactly uniform slabs.....but theres gotta be something cool that could be done with those....

They look pretty awesome.....

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Bret...the more you cut and show.... the more I love!!! BEAUTIFUL pieces of lumber!!! ....NO matter what kind of wood!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think I've cut into the best of the wood yet.

I have plenty of time to let my imagination come up with what to build with this lumber, a year or so before air drying is complete.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's definitely walnut, but I now think it's English walnut. The leaves are 2 - 5 inches long and more oval than the black walnut leaves.

I don't think I would have done anything different had I known that going in. In the future I'll be sure to take the time to identify the tree.

And here I thought I was going to make it all the way through my life without making a mistake. Ha.

Is English walnut know to have more sapwood than the Black?

Bret

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have some English walnut-20" wide boards- lots of curl and grain color in the butt log and not much sap. But I looked at some English from southern Ore. and it had an amazing amount of sap that was very very white. I like the grain patterns better in english. Here is an example of butt- I do not see this in Black. Curious to see inside of big log- I am sure you are also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is turning into my little comedy of errors. Under the category of "if it's not broke don't fix it". I was trying to coax a little more power out of my old Homelite and, you guessed it, I leaned it out just a bit too far and the engine ceased. I don't know if it's repairable yet I haven't got it apart. I have located another old Homlite identical to mine so we'll see.

Bret

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Bummer

Reactions: Dandan111
1 - 20 of 30 Posts