Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes a hand rail and stuff is next when I drys up some. Real muddy out right now. No sealer or anything yet. Probably won't seal anything. Just see how long it lasts like that. 7 acres of trees if it rotts we can build another. The long ones crossing the creek are one tree split in half with the end dug down in the dirt to be flat. The boards in between are about 3 inches thick and range in width. Super sturdy. If I had to guess a weight I would say close to 2k pounds.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The saw is a stihl 660 with 36" bar it'll eat through just about anything
Mikeshawjr, How long is the log you cut and how long did it take you? I made a homemade ALASKAN SAW MILL, on a BIG BEAR mcculloth (SP), and it used a tank of gas per 5 foot of cut log. It was SLOW going and I had a ripping chain on the saw.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure how big the tank is but I can get about 20-25 foot cut with one tank on a tree about 15 inches in diameter. The split I made for the bridge was about 12 foot so that didnt even take a tank. I made a beam that we hung between 2 trees for a swing that was 23 feet long and I topped it off right before I finished the first cut and it cut the full next cut. That was in sweetgum. Time im not sure on. Hardwoods you can definitely tell a difference on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts