Woodworking Talk banner

My Large Shadow Box & Sword Display

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  svorhees 
#1 ·
#15 ·
Just recently finished these up its my military shadow box I made to commemorate my 30 years of active duty Coast Guard service. It’s taken a long time to finish it up. This is not your average shadow box as it’s huge. I constructed it from solid walnut with cherry inlays, the wording at the top and bottom are laser engraved and then gold leafed. It has LEDs that work off a rechargeable battery pack that lasts up to 10 hours, so no cords. The base piece that holds the coins is bolted from underneath and is removable, it can be used when displaying on a shelf/mantel or removed when hanging on a wall. I finished up the sword holder last month it’s constructed of walnut as well. The finish is something I learned in a David Marks wood finishing class, in the past I would have just grabbed a spray can of polyurethane from Home depot and sprayed a few coats on it leaving a thick clear plastic coat on top of the wood. Instead this is a hand rubbed oil based finish that really brings out the grain, and the finish is actually in the wood not laying on top of it. It took a lot longer to finish but was worth it in my opinion. This is my biggest piece since getting back into wood working so it’s not perfect but was fun to build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.