Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There where no known problems, just went to turn it on the first time that day and nothing, no noise.

I checked the breaker, it was fine and I have something else plugged in the outlet and it worked.

What could be the problem?

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
There where no known problems, just went to turn it on the first time that day and nothing, no noise.

I checked the breaker, it was fine and I have something else plugged in the outlet and it worked.

What could be the problem?
Assuming there is nothing wrong with the motor it's probably the switch. You might remove the switch and see if there is power to the wire going to the motor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same unit and it did the same thing. The switch has a history of crapping out. They are pretty easy to get on line. To confirm I wired past the switch and plugged it in and mine worked fine. I left mine that way as it's plugged into a switched outlet so I never did use it. If your's is also a switch problem you could order one from HF or replace it with any motor rated switch.

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
No, that wouldn't be a direct replacement but if you are handy you could make it work. You would have to get a blank metal outlet cover and drill a hole to mount the switch. I will look and see if I can find a switch that would be a direct replacement.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ratings on that switch will be fine. Physical size is close to the size of yours. I've done a lot of business with these people. Good company to work with. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Doesn't the switch need to be rated for 20 amps since HF DC is?
Mine never had a 20 amp switch in it. It was 15. Mine is about 10-12 years old. I see that they now say 20 amp peak. The way to be sure is look at the plate on the motor. It will give you all the specs of that motor. My guess is that it pulls under 15 amps and they are trying to compensate for the inrush at startup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts