Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a little exited about my first ever plane rebuild. I know this is old news for most of you hand tool guys and girls.
I bought it off ebay and I'm sure I over paid for it got caught up with the bidding. But it was completely cover with rust blade have some pitting. I soaked it in evaprorust for days
untill I can scrub it off an brass brush.
Tote and heal completely sanded down and apply 5 coats of satin poly. I thought it came out pretty well.

I did the scary sharp method of sharping and gave it the shaving of the arm hair test

Im also notice the blade adjustment knob is plastic. Any reason as to why?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Fun ain't it? It can be addictive though,once you learn the mechanics of a well tuned plane...you might try to make one from scratch. Good job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plastic knob

The plastic knob means that the plane is what they call a War plane.
I guess they were trying to save metal for the war by substituting plastic.
Good job on a nice plane.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic knob means that the plane is what they call a War plane.
I guess they were trying to save metal for the war by substituting plastic.
Good job on a nice plane.:thumbsup:
So the plane is built just befor the WWII or during? Thanke for the compliments.

Darren How would one build a plane???

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
yeah Daren, how would one build a plane? :laughing::thumbsup:

i've been waiting for this tutorial... ;)
I honestly thought no one would be interested. I even stopped showing pictures of the ones I am making due to lack of enthusiasm.
Here are some http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1687 .
There are more pictures in my gallery, here is one, a baby (got on a "wonder how small I can make them ?" kick for awhile).

Here is a thread about making your own plane irons. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2737
Inside that thread there is a link to a little homemade backyard forge I threw together.

I can start a thread about how to make a simple block plane, with pictures. Start to finish, it's pretty easy. Most of the time I feel like I am just talking to myself with my little odd projects :laughing:, so I don't post all that much original content. Just answer others questions, even if I am wrong, I will take a whack at it ;).

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
heck yeah! i'm interested. :yes:
i followed the other 'plane' thread and read about your forge. i don't think i quite want to start forging my own blades yet ;) but i'd love to give making my own plane a try. i'll revisit the making your own plane irons...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are mighty purdy looking planes. Have you try to make a scraper plane? I've been looking for one in ebay. It's either too much money of too crappy. Instructions on making one would be great.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Have you try to make a scraper plane?
No. I did make a card cabinet scraper out of an old sawblade. I own a Foley Belsaw sharpening business. When I bought the business I inherited dozens of saw "blanks" and new handles for making handsaws. The blanks are really good steel, but there is not much call for making handsaws anymore. So I have been cutting the steel into other tools, like scrapers.

In case you are wondering what you do with a saw blank (its a sawblade without teeth) if you have not seen this video, maybe it will explain it. This machine cuts teeth on a saw (new or can retooth an old one)

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
I found this great antique store with hundreds of tools. I was there today looking at planes, i saw 2 with those plastic knobs, and it confused me. Now I know. I also want to learn how to make planes.
Daren, I think I speak for some others when I say, we have a lot to learn, and you have the knowledge. So anytime you talk I learn. I spend hours going thru the old threads looking at pictures and reading trying get ideas and learn what I can. So ramble on.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
what do you make the blades out of for those little tiny planes
Tool steel I cut to size, harden and temper, then hone. (I have alot of metal working/sharpening tools). I actually make the iron first. I have an idea of what plane I am going to make, but I take all my measurements off the finished iron. The same would go if you were buying irons and building planes. It's really important that the iron is held fast side/side and down, so no slop in the body would work. You have to build the plane around the iron, it just does not work the other way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daren would you care to make some iron and blade sell them as kits? Most of us don't have the metal cutting and forging equipments:). Or saw making machine, thats the first time I ever saw something like that. I must be living in the city too long:D.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts