Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the finished hope chest, the frame of the lid is the catalpa, center section is Hickory. frame of the chest is beech. front raised panels are Hickory, sides, back are a mixture of red pine/white pine. I'm new to wood working and wanted to try different woods, thought it'd be a good way. those aren't scratches in the finish, just some dust. the corner trim pieces, I made out of the catalpa wood as well. I guess time to have my work critiqued. I would like to hear what ya folks think, good and bad. all joints are half lapped, glued and nailed on the inside with a air nailer. This is my first real build, just a couple of picture frames for practice and to get used to my equipment, before diving into this project thanks,dt

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
pretty darn nice

You did very well for your first project. :thumbsup:
Question: There's a vertical strip running down each corner... right? What was the reason for that? It's got me baffeled... :blink:

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Overall it looks good but there are a few details I don't like. Maybe what I'm seeing is the photography but it looks like it could have used more sanding. Before you assemble the panels into the chest if you would thoroughly sand them with an orbital sander it would help a lot. I think I would have made more overhang on the top. I think it's too close to the size of the box. I like the wood. I've never worked with any.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a guess, make's it look like a corner ?? probly wrong del
yep, it covers the corner grain and it rounds off the ends a bit. might be a bit easier on the toes in the middle of the night...:)

i did sand every thing smooth down to 220 grit. I think it might be the way it looks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Seeing how I just finished my first project we are a good match to compare each other. Your work proves to me that I have much much more to go and learn lol. Good Job!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Overall it looks good but there are a few details I don't like. Maybe what I'm seeing is the photography but it looks like it could have used more sanding. Before you assemble the panels into the chest if you would thoroughly sand them with an orbital sander it would help a lot. I think I would have made more overhang on the top. I think it's too close to the size of the box. I like the wood. I've never worked with any.

thanks for the input, the top overhangs 1/2" on the sides and about 3/4 in the front. I did use an orbital sander (it's all I have besides the belt sander and I think the belt sander would have destroyed the softer catalpa). I posted the pic to get both good, bad, and what ever reviews, so I can learn for the next projects. I also put the strips down the side to add more of the catalpa, with it just on the lid, it kinda stood.

Gotspiccoli, don't sell yourself short I'm sure your doing great work. did you post any pic of your project? One of the major reason's for this forum for me is to learn, so If ya post a pic, there are folks on here that will give ya examples of what ya could do to improve your project. there not being "no it all's" or saying "ha ha I'm better than you are", just trying to give helpful advice. so lets see some pics. dt

thanks for all the comments, dt. the tip of the day "don't let your woodsmith,woodshop, magazines lay around were your wife can find them, it will just cause you more work....:yes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks for the input, the top overhangs 1/2" on the sides and about 3/4 in the front. I did use an orbital sander (it's all I have besides the belt sander and I think the belt sander would have destroyed the softer catalpa). I posted the pic to get both good, bad, and what ever reviews, so I can learn for the next projects. I also put the strips down the side to add more of the catalpa, with it just on the lid, it kinda stood.

Gotspiccoli, don't sell yourself short I'm sure your doing great work. did you post any pic of your project? One of the major reason's for this forum for me is to learn, so If ya post a pic, there are folks on here that will give ya examples of what ya could do to improve your project. there not being "no it all's" or saying "ha ha I'm better than you are", just trying to give helpful advice. so lets see some pics. dt

thanks for all the comments, dt. the tip of the day "don't let your woodsmith,woodshop, magazines lay around were your wife can find them, it will just cause you more work....:yes:
Yep just posted my first project today. Only one pic but my new phone comes in today so I can take more of the next project.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
dt1050 said:
Ha and trust me that part never ends if your wife is like mine. Good job man.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after i built a few picture frames to get used to the equipment, the hope/blanket chest was first. then she seen a bed she'd like made for the boy, next a laundry rack....maybe I should have built a crooked,crappy hope chest and she'd left me alone..:icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Attaboy, dt1050! There's nothing quite like slightly out-of-square picture frames to put them off the chase. Took a lot of planning.

I like the grain figure in the chest. I like the raised panels in the sides. I don't like the relieved panel in the top, going to be *** hard to keep the edges dust-free.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the top is covered with a blanket, we have beagles and they have decided it's easier to use the hope chest to use as a set of steps to get up on the bed.....:furious:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nice first project. The only comment I will make and nothing to do with the project per say. I don't like catalpa. This wood has a crummy smell. Also, I don't know how stable it is. The tree itself grows at strange angles etc., almost impossible to find a limb that is straight

My problem may be because I have a few of these trees in my yard. They tend to be messy trees, such as, the fruit (cigars) that fall. It also drops sap on my vehicles. I removed one tree a number of years ago it was 48" at its base I counted the rings and it had over 50 dating it to 1949. The only thing they are good for(IMO) is the shade they give off.

I do wish you luck with your project. I think it has been critiqued enough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice first project. The only comment I will make and nothing to do with the project per say. I don't like catalpa. This wood has a crummy smell. Also, I don't know how stable it is. The tree itself grows at strange angles etc., almost impossible to find a limb that is straight

My problem may be because I have a few of these trees in my yard. They tend to be messy trees, such as, the fruit (cigars) that fall. It also drops sap on my vehicles. I removed one tree a number of years ago it was 48" at its base I counted the rings and it had over 50 dating it to 1949. The only thing they are good for(IMO) is the shade they give off.

I do wish you luck with your project. I think it has been critiqued enough.

funny you mentioned the fruit as cigars, when I planed it down it had a tabacco smell...lol, 5 coats of poly so it don't smell..the floor in the chest is cedar, so that's the only thing we smell and that's ok by me. I've seen the tree's and thought they'd be a mess. the floor was supposed to have no gaps in it, however, thanks to Lowes it does. when you buy a semi planed 1x8x8 it shouldn't be only 6 5/8 wide!!!!!:censored: but I guess the gaps will give some air flow in the chest. (that's my excuse) I guess I should have taken my tape measure when I went to the store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts