Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I don't have a lot of experience woodworking, so I'm starting off small. My sister is a Clemson University alumni, and I decided to make her some coasters. I do not have a lot of time using my scroll saw, so be easy on me. I plan on staining these, and filling the paws with an orange epoxy or acrylic. I haven't figured that out yet. So far, I have only cut three of four out. Still need to make a box too. The piece under the coaster is unrelated to this project.

Wood Plywood Circle Tableware

·
Registered
111 Posts
TreyA said:
Thanks for the kind words. The wood is poplar. Sharbin, what year did you graduate? Here is an updated. It's not perfect, but neither is my sister. Haha!
Looks good!

I graduated in 1977. A long time ago, but still a fan :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Looks really good for a first try!

Although, the only way it could look better was if you made one that looked like THIS! Hahaha
Carving Wood Plywood Relief Stone carving

In all seriousness, job well done and I'm sure your sister will be very pleased!

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha! Even if I had the ability, I wouldn't cut that out!

Actually I would, her husband is a USC fan.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Haha! Even if I had the ability, I wouldn't cut that out!

Actually I would, her husband is a USC fan.
Judging by the paw, I'd say you have the ability to do a lot more than you think. That Gamecock was my first attempt at scrolling and I was using the cheapest saw out there, so don't underestimate your abilities!

A house divided huh? Mine was like that at first, then my girlfriend (now wife) told me I had to convert or get lost.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure I would have just stayed single!

I might give it a shot. If anything, I'll probably learn something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need a scroll saw. a $200 scroll saw so I can make coasters with immeasurable personal value too! YES!
Im not being facetious. I am dead serious. I need a scroll saw. Great project. You make it look easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would skip the acrylic or epoxy fill, just from a user stand point- you don't want the top to be too smooth or you will get a water tension effect on the bottom of the glass where the coaster will come up with the glass when you pick it up.. then drop and scare everyone in the room when it hits the floor- Id leave the open work and do a glued felt bottom- simple and safe- will still work like a coaster should, but wont suction to the bottom of a glass.

Unless your sister just drinks beer out of a can- then go for it ;)

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Don't leave the hole a hole and don't make your epoxy fills concave at all. If you do that people will be spilling drinks every time your sister tries to use these. If you decide on epoxy, just give it a little texture by dabbing some felt on it while it's curing. Do it when it's tacky but not wet. Don't leave the felt unless you want it to look funny.

These are a great idea. I may have to steal it, though my daughter's a Hokie now and that may be harder to do than a paw print...

·
Registered
111 Posts
frankp said:
... These are a great idea. I may have to steal it, though my daughter's a Hokie now and that may be harder to do than a paw print...
A turkey footprint - sounds like it could be an interesting project. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts