Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good friend sent me a blank from the US of A all the way round the world to sunny down town Jerilderie. I left the might metropolis of Jerilderie, population 800 or there abouts and went to Melbourne population 3 million. Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Wood Tool I took my lathe, blank and cutter. Hand Finger With limited tools I had to make do. I had some carbide tip 'chisels' for pen making but no handles. Neither did I have much for mounting work so I used a Jacobs chuck once one end was finished. Machine Wood Machine tool Tool Then it was time to to apply the rest of the finish - UBeaut Shellawax Wood And lastly screw it all together Grass Plant Now .... Time for pizza night

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That is pretty sweet.

How well does that shellawax hold up during use? For something like a pizza cutter, bottle opener, will it still appear shiny & glossy after a year or so? Hard difficult is it to use/apply to get that high gloss finish? Thanks.

·
7,222 Posts
How well does that shellawax hold up during use? For something like a pizza cutter, bottle opener, will it still appear shiny & glossy after a year or so? Hard difficult is it to use/apply to get that high gloss finish? Thanks.
Nice looking pizza cutter DaveTTC. :thumbsup:

I cannot answer about how it holds up. I used it on a couple of pizza cutters which I gave to others. No feedback.

As far as application, it is like other friction style finishes, apply with rag or paper towel by hand, then turn on the lathe and with another rag or piece of paper towel apply pressure so the finish melts. Only takes a few seconds.

If I recall DaveTTC told me it hardens in a few days.

Shellawax is thicker than Mylands, another popular friction finish.

Shellawax is low odour, no solvent, unlike the Mylands. I think it is a combination of shellac and bees wax.

One source, not available at Woodcraft.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...de=packard&Product_Code=124901&Category_Code=

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burb said:
That is pretty sweet. How well does that shellawax hold up during use? For something like a pizza cutter, bottle opener, will it still appear shiny & glossy after a year or so? Hard difficult is it to use/apply to get that high gloss finish? Thanks.
Burb, as Dave said above, it hardens in time. I think Neil (the guy who makes the stuff) says 14 days for maximum hardness

Easy to apply, just use a bit of cloth. I even use paper towel though not recommended. Finish is not as glossy that way apparently.

It does lose some gloss over time. The Beaty of a pizza handle is you can just unscrew the cutter and pop it back on the lathe.

Thanks to Dave above as he sent the blank and cutter

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Thanks for the input Dave Squared.

After I posted, I found it at PSI. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSWAX.html

I may see about ordering it. I don't beleive I have any friction polish other than the plastic polish I have used for my CA finishes. Its actually Mequires Headlight Renew stuff called Plastx. Works great.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RusDemka

Just for the record the cutters I used were the pen chisels from you that still remain handleless.

Another job yet to be addressed ;)

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Dave nice pizza cutter good to here from you as well. Have you made a move to the big city from the small town you sort of left me hanging fill us in. and again great to see a post from you.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Nice work Dave!

You did what we all are forced to do from time to time -- the best we can with the tools we've got.

Have you left Jerilderie for good? I was fascinated to read about Mike Hastings, the 14th Earl of Loudoun and a direct descendant of George Plantagenet (Edward IV's younger brother) who lived there till his death in 2012.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well done
Thank you
Dave nice pizza cutter good to here from you as well. Have you made a move to the big city from the small town you sort of left me hanging fill us in. and again great to see a post from you. Jerry
No I just went down for a timber and working with wood show for a few days and set up.
Nice work Dave! You did what we all are forced to do from time to time -- the best we can with the tools we've got. Have you left Jerilderie for good? I was fascinated to read about Mike Hastings, the 14th Earl of Loudoun and a direct descendant of George Plantagenet (Edward IV's younger brother) who lived there till his death in 2012.
Mike was a pleasant fella. He could be strong in his opinions at times but was very much a part of the community. He was a council/shire member, and prominent on a number of committees. I am sure he is missed.

I am back home now. For a long time I had no workshop. Just this last few weeks I have sorted something out temporary though it be. Somewhere I had a thread about my shed with vines growing though it. I will update that when I get around to it with my temporary solution. As I had no where for my lathes I took the chance to take one with me when I went to Melbourne though I did not get to spend much time on it.

Dave Paine had sent me the blank and wheel a couple of months earlier and I just had to find/make a chance to put it to use.

Have you seen the new mallet thread ... thinking of having a go at all?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Hope you manage to get your workshop sorted out.
Have you seen the new mallet thread ... thinking of having a go at all?
The last thing I need (well okay, not the last) is another mallet ... the 2 that I've got (one square, one round) are great and get plenty of use, but until one of these gives up the ghost I'm all set.

I've got so many ideas for new things I'd like to try making, and a couple of projects that I've been putting off for over a year (like a bedside table I promised my wife) I really shouldn't be signing up for new stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts