Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I turned my first bowl way back in the middle of September I have always wanted a natural edge bowl. However I could never find one that had the correct characteristics... Until my teacher hooked me up with a beautiful peice of cherry that would turn a natural edge. Man was it a pain..... First off whoever cut it down took the chainsaw in brought it back out an cut below it. So there was a gaping hole that made the jointer just scream when we tried to flatten the bottom. Then as I was turning it 1" screws wernt enough and it came off. Bent the screws right out of the wood. Luckily it was only turning at about 300 RPM at the time and just hit the floor. Yes I know how dangerous this is and I was shaking the rest of the period becuse of it... I ha to abort my sanding mission at 220 becuse it was just to thin to continue.... But overall I thought it turned out beautiful! Let me know what y'all think!!

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foresta Design said:
Very nice bowl. What finish did you use? Keep up the good work.
Thank you! I used a Danish oil on it. I have a guy who is going to look for burls that he has seen. As long as I turn him one I can have the others am a friends family just cut down a walnut tree and said if I turn them one I can have a bunch.

·
learning to turn bowls.
197 Posts
Word of warning, green walnut will dye your hands black. By green I mean wet of course. Always work to be better. Above all have fun.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Foresta Design said:
Word of warning, green walnut will dye your hands black. By green I mean wet of course. Always work to be better. Above all have fun.
Haha ok thanks. I just turned a green walnut bowl. Didn't have problems but didn't get all over it either. I love it!!! Hopefully buying a lathe for home this summer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Job well done. Nice natural edge.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
photos

Nice Job Now all you have to do is clean up the area around the bowl when taking photos. I know this my not seem like big deal, but for the couple of seconds it will take to move the stain can, safety glasses rags and misc. other items you can make a great piece look even better. Their are a lot of people that visit this site someone might even be interested in your work so help sell yourself and your work by taking that extra moment. Keep up the Good Work

Jerry

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's a beauty! Love the cherry burl and the live edge. The finish really made the pretty grains and patterns really pop. Great job!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wood shavings said:
Nice Job Now all you have to do is clean up the area around the bowl when taking photos. I know this my not seem like big deal, but for the couple of seconds it will take to move the stain can, safety glasses rags and misc. other items you can make a great piece look even better. Their are a lot of people that visit this site someone might even be interested in your work so help sell yourself and your work by taking that extra moment. Keep up the Good Work

Jerry
Thank you! And that is very true. These were quick at school pictures.... I will work on my photography soon. Usually I use a white towel or something like that as a backdrop unless its some light color wood then I use a black towel.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MagGeorge said:
It's a beauty! Love the cherry burl and the live edge. The finish really made the pretty grains and patterns really pop. Great job!
Thank you so much! I love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts