Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little inspired looking through the mallet swap threads. You guys really showcased some beautiful work. I'm a novice woodworker but I wanted to give it a try and see what I could do. I really did need a mallet for my shop and I'd like to participate in future swaps.

I'm pretty happy with the results of my first effort. I didn't have any plans, but I did use some of the techniques I picked up from Steve Ramsey's YouTube video. I used fishing sinkers in the head to add weight, and you can see the kitchen scale says it's nearly 22oz. It has a nice solid feel to it. The handle is mahogany and oak. The head is maple. I sanded it to 600 grit and just applied a coat of thinned BLO. I may still add a couple coats of SealCoat or something, not sure.

Thanks for the inspiration and let me know what you think.

ForumRunner_20140104_123726.jpg

ForumRunner_20140104_123743.jpg

ForumRunner_20140104_123804.jpg

ForumRunner_20140104_123818.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I really enjoyed making it and since I finished it I've been mulling over ideas for another. I have some friends who would appreciate getting one. I wish I had started making these a few months ago so I could have made Xmas gifts out of them.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Nice work....why aren't you participating in the swap? You've got 3 weeks to finish a mallet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work....why aren't you participating in the swap? You've got 3 weeks to finish a mallet.
Thanks! I thought about asking if I could still get in on it, but wanted to make myself one first and see if I was up to it. Now I just made a commitment to a friend who is opening a restaurant very soon. She is working on a total renovation of the space and will need a new bar built. We're tossing around ideas right now, but need to get down to work very soon. I'm not sure how much time I'll have in the coming weeks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts