Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I recently got my first lathe and I am working on my first project which will be a mallet Does anyone have any advice or recommendations also wondering which turning tools will I need thank you!

·
7,222 Posts
Insufficient information.

What lathe? Turning tools have different sizes. Shorter for mini lathes, longer for larger lathes.

Turning tools also differ between spindle work and bowl/platter work.

A mallet is a spindle project. Is this an indication that you want to do only spindle work?

Do you have the equipment to sharpen tools? If not you may end up needing to look for tools using carbide inserts. The inserts have a few faces then are discarded when dull.

Carbide holds an edge longer than HSS (High Speed Steel) but is not as sharp initially. Many folks, including myself, prefer HSS over carbide tools. Just personal preference. I have the equipment to sharpen my HSS tools.

For inspiration on mallets, take a look at these threads from earlier mallet swaps.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/mallet-swap-pics-46569/

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/mallet-swap-part-deux-pictures-47414/

Earlier thread on getting started with turning. More like this if you look back.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/getting-started-56449/

·
Registered
172 Posts
I started with a Benjamin Best Set. I still use some of them almost everytime I turn. There should be sufficient tools in the set to get you started with a mallet and other turnings.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Usually the first thing is to cut the blank into an octagon. Mount it in the lathe. A roughing gouge is then used to form the blank into a cylinder. Make marks at the ends and any transitions or decorations you will make. A parting tool is used to cut into the blank to the depth of the transitions. A set of calipers is used to measure the predetermined depth. Material is then removed and shaped as you want. Spindle gouges, skews or tools like a Spindlemaster are used to shape the blank into the mallet, as you wish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
eye protection, face mask preferable, some type of air protection especially when it comes to sanding. If you've never worked with a lathe start with a small piece of scrap and get use to the machine. TAKE YOUR TIME a catch can be a real deal breaker and very dangerous. This goes along with everything else already written.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi everyone I recently got my first lathe and I am working on my first project which will be a mallet Does anyone have any advice or recommendations also wondering which turning tools will I need thank you!
EA, if you are this new to turning, I strongly suggest you visit your local suppliers of woodworking equipment and ask them if there is a woodturning group in your area. Go and watch someone do some turning and ask questions....

This way you get off on the right foot.... Otherwise you are off on a very steep learning curve...
Good luck, turn safe....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts