Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this is my first piece of furniture I built this past fall. My son had out grown his twin bed, but we could not find anything to match is dresser. His existing furniture was manufactured by Moosehead Furniture which is now out of business. Since the dresser was very well made, my wife encouraged me to build something to match. I was reluctant, but she found a pretty simple plan on line for a platform bed. So I agreed, and here is my interpretation of the plan. The actual plan called for the bed to be simply built out of pine, but I wrapped the structure with ¾ inch oak. After I built the base platform structure, I got hooked and designed and built the head board. The headboard is solid red oak.

Prior to adding the head board(took this with my phone, so not the best quality):

This was taken with my phone, but is shows the panels better. My camera's flash washes out the details of the panel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It looks very nice. I would be VERY proud of myself if I built that. Good work on th headboard in particular.

Could you also post a photo of the dresser that your wife was having you match?

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by:

"...but I wrapped the structure with ¾ inch oak..."

Do you mean there is a pne structure underneath and that you have 3/4" red oak on the outside of it?

Or are you saying that you used 3/4" oak for the rails?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nicely done :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It looks very nice. I would be VERY proud of myself if I built that. Good work on th headboard in particular.

Could you also post a photo of the dresser that your wife was having you match?

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by:

"...but I wrapped the structure with ¾ inch oak..."

Do you mean there is a pne structure underneath and that you have 3/4" red oak on the outside of it?

Or are you saying that you used 3/4" oak for the rails?

Thanks in advance.
I will try post a picture of the dresser when I get home….I might have to get my son to clean up his room first. The dresser I was matching is made out of ash, and I could not find any locally. We got stain to match (pretty close) from Sherwin Williams.

Yes, there is a pine structure underneath. The main structure was as simple pine box….Here is a link to the plans: http://ana-white.com/2012/01/plans/hailey-platform-bed. I just added ¾ oak to the outside (glued and screwed from the inside so the screws are not seen). The piece on top of the rails making the platform is oak, and a little wider than the plans called for. The headboard I did is obviously different than the one in the linked plan picture, but it goes better with the dresser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts