Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea why... But I really wanted that biscuit joiner... Now i literally use it for probably more than I should...

Table Workbench Furniture Wood woodworking

That was a bad place to start because my wife hated my first entertainment stand:

Screen Media Television Display device Flat panel display

Thus began a many month long trek...

Shelf Shelving Furniture Wall Plywood

Of course one piece wasn't enough...

Wood Machine Plywood

Shelf Property Ceiling Building Wall

And closer to finished (i replaced the valance with one of maple later)

Furniture Room Wall Property Shelving

The next thing has been under development too long...

Furniture Wood Hutch Cabinetry Cupboard

A gift for one of my bosses, pulls out on a slider rail dado'd into / hidden in the base. I put several pieces of maple in the end to keep it weighted down when opened.

Wood Hardwood Table Laminate flooring Furniture

My wife tried filling my new entertainment center with her river rock collection, so i made these for them instead, i used forstner bits and plug cutters to inlay the teak circles, and a 3/4" router bit on a table for the straight band.

Furniture Table Wood Room Desk

Well, back to my wine rack...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Nice work man!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Nice work on the projects, but what I want to know is how did you get a shop like that?!? That space is amazing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
holy crap you built a tv:eek::laughing:. jokin that is some fine work

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shop isnt nearly as awesome as the people in charge of it... Lol.

Several years ago my wife and I were offered employment with the Facilities dept. at a College, in an oil & gas rich / trade centric town. In this campus they offer an incredible carpentry program, years 1 through 4, well they also have great welding, millwright, aircraft mechanical engineering and electrician courses... So there are literally shops for everything on hand...

Anyway, my first year here i never THOUGHT about using the carpentry shop. I had asked my supervisor if I could ask to use a router from there when my old craftsman bit it, he said without a journeyman ticket I could not use the carpentry shop, but could use the facilities shop... Roughly as well equipped as my garage, but with older tools... (Facilities gets the hand me downs from the trades depts when they get new equipment)

Months later I had to buy a $50 4" hole saw bit to make one hole one day. I ran into one of the carpentry instructors later while grocery shopping and he asked how it was going. I whined about the $50 hole I just made and he said "why would you buy anything? We have all the tools at the shop! You have a set of keys don't you?" I explained my boss had said no to which he laughed and said "Good thing for you your boss isnt in charge of my shop! You go ahead and use anything you want. If you dont know how to use it, ask first and one of us (instructors) will teach you!

/heaven

So... Its been a fun couple of years since, to say the least. The one instructor is an absolute godsend... A cabinetmaker / joiner by trade he's one of those people who LIVE to teach! Any question about carpentry is met with excitement and enthusiasm, and a quick question requiring a simple answer will often come with an extended demo including all kinds of great tips, tricks, secrets, etc.

Anyway, things are about to get hella exciting at that shop, they added a CNC Router last month and this creamtacular cabinet saw / shaper:

Machine Machine tool Tool Jointer

"My" shop is a 14x24 garage... I framed and insulated the garage door opening and have been slowly adding what tools I can to it. But I rarely use it for obvious reasons...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It is very nice, but there is NOTHING that beats getting up from a chair, walking a few steps and into my OWN shop, and doing it several times during the evening.

I can't tell you all the times I have done that, and many for just a few minutes to do a simple step or two on a project I have going.

I'm happy for him though.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally agree! I have my own shop with the essentials, its just 14x24 but serves its purpose. Also necessary because i cant just walk into the carpentry shop ANY time I want either due to classes, etc. but when its free, for me nothing beats a 5 minute drive to work with a stop at robins or tim hortons for a coffee to have all the space in the world and access to equipment i may never be able to afford :)

But you certainly cant beat your own space!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love being able to go downstairs to my shop. But to have access to that size space, the tools you might otherwise not be able to use/afford, and to top it off have someone eager to teach or to get advice from, AWESOME!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I definately feel blessed, to say the least! I hope its karma throwing me a bone at long last... Lol! Life can be a harsh grind...

On more positive notes, a couple years ago my wife and I got part time, extra work at a hardware store. She works in the paint dept. so I leave all things stain & paint to her, lol!

Heres the table I made after she finished it:

Furniture Table Wood Hardwood Bench

I had it in the store to show a few coworkers.
The benefits of working in a hardware store is I can order what I need, get a good discount and learn a TON!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts