Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Custom stair builder
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started when we moved into our new house and the front door was falling apart. With some work it would shut but it wouldn't latch or lock. This was not acceptable for my wife. We have double doors and the cost to have them replaced with the kind of door that we liked was going to be very expensive.

Room Property Door Wall Building

I drew up a design of what I wanted it to look like then used tape to outline it on the existing door to check the proportions.

· Custom stair builder
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this iron panel but it was unidirectional. They didn't have a mirror image of the same panel so I took it to my welder and had him remove the leaves on one of the panels and weld them back on to face them the other directional that I could place them side by side and when viewed from the outside you would be able to see all the detailing.

Metal

After the slight alterations I had them powder coated.

· Custom stair builder
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Now it's time to make the jamb.

Table saws Tool Table Workbench Machine

I had to make a jig for the hinges. The jig I've used in the past (a plastic porter cable one from Home Depot) was either too big or too small.

Wood Lumber Plywood Hardwood Table

I chose to bend and laminate the top curved part of the jamb because of the shape of the jamb. There needed to be three 1/4" pieces that were 5-1/4" wide that would be the jamb itself then two 1/4" pieces that were 3-1/4" that would be the doorstop. That would allow for the 1-3/4" door plus 1/4" for weather striping. The doorstop also needed an 1/8" groove in it for the weatherstripping to fit into.

I forgot to take a picture of it all clamped up but this one shows the jacks that I used to bend it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.