Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this was an order from a while back which got held up due to me butchering the top.

David Paine was incredibly kind and invited me out to his home to help me plane the top down. So, my wife and drove out and had the great opportunity to meet him in person. A kinder person doesn't exist.

My client basically wanted a version of a Nakashima conoid style table.

I studied a few of them at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Nakashima studios in New Hope. As I looked them over carefully, I began to see that the things I beat myself up over were things which were and are perfectly acceptable in building these types of pieces. I found tremendous relief in studying the originals.

Anyway, I can't all out just make a copy of something, it has to be mine so I did a little different than GN did.

So here's my first crotch slab table.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow, that's a big coffee table! Well done :thumbsup: The butterflies are well hidden and the support underneath is classy. Was the client happy? What finish did u/ are u using?

·
Banned
615 Posts
Gorgeous. Subscribed, can't wait to see it finished

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Gideon, how stable is the end with the single leg? I'd be a little concerned that someone leaning on one of the corners at that end might tip it, but I sure do like the design.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gideon, how stable is the end with the single leg? I'd be a little concerned that someone leaning on one of the corners at that end might tip it, but I sure do like the design.

It's 14" tall and stable for its use. If it were taller, like 16", 18" I would have done it differently. I wouldn't sit on the table but I'm not worried about people bumping it or anything like that. Unless you put a 30 lb dumbbell on the very outer edge, like I did to test it, it won't tip.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
gideon said:
the ties will stand out more when finish is applied. it'll be done in tung oil.

lots of sanding still ahead of me.
George did a lot of tables with ties that didn't stand out so much. I like them better that way. Besides they will in fact stand out and the fact that they don't jump out and steal the attention from the rest of the grain is really going to be a blessing.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
George did a lot of tables with ties that didn't stand out so much. I like them better that way. Besides they will in fact stand out and the fact that they don't jump out and steal the attention from the rest of the grain is really going to be a blessing.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
I've been using english brown oak for my bowties. tonally, they are a better match to walnut than maple or cherry.

·
7,222 Posts
Looking very nice Gideon. Well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy you were able to recover and happy to help.

Since we say without pictures it did not happen, proof of the visit.

A good time was had by all. Gideon and I worked on sanding this. Gideon's wife spent a lot of time in the garden with my wife, picking whatever was ready to be picked.

Gideon_Dave_walnut_board_1920.jpg

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Nice looking table. I like the cleanliness & simplicity of the design. Tung oil is a great choice for a finish too, adds much depth. I'd use a minimum of 6 coats though, or watermarks from glasses could be a problem.
Even if your clients use coasters religiously, all it takes is one ignorant guest to place their sweating glass on said beautiful table...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice table and beautiful chunk of wood.!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts