Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third bowl/vessel and it flew off when I was getting rid of the tenon. I was in to much of a hurry :cry:Oh well I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

20130619_205908.jpg
20130619_205854.jpg

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
And if the glue up does not work ,
slice the jagged edge straight , take of the same amount off the other side of center , gently saw the tenon off , sand the base of the pedestal smooth , with a slightly hollowed concave , and have a fine looking winged platter :smile:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if the glue up does not work ,
slice the jagged edge straight , take of the same amount off the other side of center , gently saw the tenon off , sand the base of the pedestal smooth , with a slightly hollowed concave , and have a fine looking winged platter :smile:
I was just thinking the same thing. I can't imagine the piece looking ok glued together.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking about this last night gave me a few ideas. I think I'm going to try and clean up the break a bit then try to do my first inlay with crushed turquoise.

·
Registered
264 Posts
From the pics it looks like a very clean break. And with all the wonderful color in the wood I would think that the glue line would end up looking just like another grain line. As Blondewood said please post pics of the repair and what you did.
I just saw that your in Houston, what part?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the pics it looks like a very clean break. And with all the wonderful color in the wood I would think that the glue line would end up looking just like another grain line. As Blondewood said please post pics of the repair and what you did.
I just saw that your in Houston, what part?
I'm up in Cypress. I'll try and take as many pictures as I can of my attempt and let you guys know. It's about time I try and give back after gaining so much info from this forum.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so here's my attempt at gluing the piece back together.

Cole Jaws worked as a handy clamp.
20130620_181008.jpg
20130620_181446.jpg

Results are good and bad. Got to wait for the glue to fully dry. In the mean time I'll contemplate rather or not I want to try and inlay to disguise the cracks.
20130620_183526.jpg
20130620_183533.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts