Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
It is your decision whether you want to always see the remnants of the original jappaning, or to remove and repaint.

For my plane restorations, if too much of the original jappaning has gone, which is common, I use chemical stripper, then scrap off the old paint and re-paint with engine enamel.

How about posting some pictures of the plane.

·
7,222 Posts
Awesome plane, Paul. That's been my method in the past with several Millers Falls, and a few clones. You can't see it in the picture, but there are massive, visible holes in the japanning. I won't know how bad until I get the gunk off, but I'll post another pic. Heck, maybe I'll get lucky! Thanks!
Sometimes we do get lucky.

This was my second round of rust bucket restorations.

A Sargent 408, equivalent to Stanley No. 3

The as-purchased picture. I got this from a nearby flea market.

The after restoration. I was amazed that the original paint was in such good condition. I did replace the knob and tote. They were not broken, but not the best woods.

The restoration thread if you want to read more. This is perhaps my favourite restoration based on how it looked at the start and how it looks now.

Edit, restoration thread.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/latest-rust-bucket-planes-46494/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.