Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I built this air filter for my small shop and wanted to share. It's one of those things you don't realize how much you need it until you get one. I used to use a delta dust collector but that thing never really filtered the fine dust and seemed to make more of a mess than it helped. If I could have installed it outdoors that would be a different story. These days I just use a shopvac for "dust collection" and I run this air filter and the combo is really effective.

Here's a link to the video I finally got both parts on youtube for the last time after battling with their Content ID system

If you have any questions about it I'll be happy to answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to add that I've since started using these 2" filters from menards that are like $4 or $5 a piece, they have more surface area so they flow longer.

Also the cheap 3M filters are one use and done because the fibers separate if you try to blow it off but the 2" filters I've been using from menards as well as that original Rheem filter is a different type of material that holds up better

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Nice project and planning.

I have to admit, though, when the OP put a Vise-Grips on the arbor nut of the table saw, I winced.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice project and planning.

I have to admit, though, when the OP put a Vise-Grips on the arbor nut of the table saw, I winced.

Bill

Thank you. I use whatever is around, vice grips or crescent wrench...the actual tool is long gone. Not the most organized guy admittedly. You may catch me using a tape measure or cordless drill as a hammer as well.

I lost the arbor nut one time in a pile of saw dust that it fell into. Could not find it I had to order a replacement from JET took a week and a half to get it, that sucked

I've had that table saw since 2005 I had to cut the built in breaker out of the motor a few years ago it kept tripping prematurely. Still going strong but would love a new saw.

If you noticed I have to clamp that fence in place every time because the back of it doesn't lock it gives a bit and screws up your cut otherwise. I also have to align the saw every time I move it to a new location that's probably typical though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice build!, can you point me to the pricing you got on the 8 inch fan??, can't find any on Ebay for $60 shipped!....Thanks....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice build!, can you point me to the pricing you got on the 8 inch fan??, can't find any on Ebay for $60 shipped!....Thanks....:thumbsup:
I did get lucky and got it on an auction style listing last spring. I previously used it to convert a window air conditioner to a "indoor" air conditioner, a whole different story...

I'm not seeing as many listings for these as there was when I got it, they were selling a bunch of them both buy it now and with 99 cent auctions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice job on the filter. I need to make one for my shop.

Gotta say though, I've never seen anybody drag their just cut wood backwards between the blade and fence while it's still running before. I've recently spent some time in a thread here where there were a good number of table saw injuries posted so it's fresh on my mind. I cringed watching you do that.

By the way, I noticed you just joined. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: nmacdonald

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice job on the filter. I need to make one for my shop.

Gotta say though, I've never seen anybody drag their just cut wood backwards between the blade and fence while it's still running before. I've recently spent some time in a thread here where there were a good number of table saw injuries posted so it's fresh on my mind. I cringed watching you do that.

By the way, I noticed you just joined. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you. That is something that you get comfortable with doing after using a table saw every day for years. There are a couple guidelines for it:

1. Table saw has got to be aligned precisely, meaning the fence to the miter slot and the blade to the miter slot

2. You have to press the piece to the right up against the fence firmly. This is also a reason why I clamp my fence down in the back so it cannot move when I'm putting pressure against it.

As long as the piece stays up against the fence and the fence can't come out of alignment the piece will back out smoothly. There's been a couple times I've nicked a piece on the way back out but nothing catastrophic. Still got all my fingers after 9 years and never actually cut myself using a table saw or router, knock on wood.

I believe many injuries come down to poor table saw alignment, whenever I've moved my saw to a new shop and used it before re aligning it, things get very dangerous when it's not cutting straight.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well just be careful. It's the moving it backwards where the accident can occur. If you let it move once where it twists slightly and binds between the fence and blade that's where things will get ugly. It will be a lot worse than nicked wood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great work!
I'm going to bookmark this thread and make this my next project as soon as this polar weather breaks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
killersoundz said:
Thank you. I use whatever is around, vice grips or crescent wrench...the actual tool is long gone. Not the most organized guy admittedly. You may catch me using a tape measure or cordless drill as a hammer as well. I lost the arbor nut one time in a pile of saw dust that it fell into. Could not find it I had to order a replacement from JET took a week and a half to get it, that sucked I've had that table saw since 2005 I had to cut the built in breaker out of the motor a few years ago it kept tripping prematurely. Still going strong but would love a new saw. If you noticed I have to clamp that fence in place every time because the back of it doesn't lock it gives a bit and screws up your cut otherwise. I also have to align the saw every time I move it to a new location that's probably typical though
Hey man. Great videos on you tube. Great stuff. From one fellow guitar gear lover to another. I am the owner of RDK Sound Design. Check us out if you get a chance. Www.rdksounddesign.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I built it late last night. So rather a f it kinda rush job. Works great. Pulls a lot of air. I used a 16x20 filter because of lack of head room. Thanks for the help
Sweet!!! That will do the trick. :thumbsup:

The next one I build I might try to make it "low profile", they make like 12x24 filters I was thinking I could make a cabinet that uses two of those, one on either side or something. The only problem with that is these filters seem to cost the same no matter what size. I mounted mine strategically over my table saw just in the right spot that I can lean over it a little and not hit my head on it ha!

If you end up thinking the 16x20 is choking it down at all, if you have a menards near you they've got these 2" thick contractor filters I pay $4 each for the 20x25 ones, if they've got them in 16x20 you'd get a little more flow from them

·
Registered
899 Posts
I want a low profile also. Not that you mentioned it i have an idea as to how to make it. I plan a make over for my shop. The mess is killing me. I think i will do that after. Now that it is running there is no rush on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts