Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this crosscut sled, took about 3-4 hours to build from scraps. I wish I made one of these a while ago. Finally figured out how to make it because the miter slots are terrible on this saw. I don't cut large sheets yet so for now the small width sled work fine. I will have to fine tune by sanding the tracks because it binds a little bit, not too bad though. Thanks for looking!

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is really going to make cross cutting dados in 1/4" baltic birch very easy, consistent, and square. I also cut a lot of 1/8" baltic birch in small pieces. Since that is about 75% or more of my work, the sled will definitely be used A LOT

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started a project tonight, one I have done without a crosscut sled before....I was one crosscut sled from perfection, my work has really improved!!! Couldn't be happier

·
Slovenian
5 Posts
We have that saw in our Az. shop and I'm going to try this to made a smooth running sled.
Using the top of that slot for the bearing for your runner. Line up a board very parralled to your blade and at such a distance from the slot that you can take a fine cut off the side of that top rail with a straight carbide router bit. Add a shim board and do the other side of the slot. Repeat for the slot on the other side of the blade. That will give your true running slots and parallel to the blade and slides will run nicely in those slots.

I have a Ryobi BT3000 saw and it has no slots so I routed both sides of the center body and build my sleds to ride on those surfaces. It makes sled building fun and accurate.

Merry Christmas...............Jim

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it's awesome, spend a few hours to make one and you will only be upset wondering why it took you so long to make one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had that same saw and actually sold it on craigslist yesterday to make room for my new Ridgid 4512 obtained Friday.

I had at one time thought about grinding those ears off to make a sled. I tried making runners of hard maple scrap I had on hand and was going to rabbit off enough meat to clear the ears but I never got around to completing that project. Your idea might have been better ! :)

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny because I thought about grinding the ears off too. How much did you get for it on Craigslist. I have always thought about keeping mine because if I bought the Ridgid saw I would still want a cabinet saw, so for now I'll use my Craftsman until I have enough room for a big Grizzly

·
Registered
172 Posts
Funny because I thought about grinding the ears off too. How much did you get for it on Craigslist. I have always thought about keeping mine because if I bought the Ridgid saw I would still want a cabinet saw, so for now I'll use my Craftsman until I have enough room for a big Grizzly
$125 no questions and inside 24hrs. Would have taken $100 but guy ponied up $125 without blinking :)

Seems fair I think...dont remember it being but about $250ish?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Nice sled but I have a suggestion. Build a protruding box on the pushing side of it to protect your hands/fingers from getting cut off when the blade comes through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts