Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I owe a thank you to one of our members here:thumbsup:
Mission is my Mission posted a thread about making these boxes and was kind enough to tell anyone who cared where to find the plans.
These are just the kind of thing I need to build wedding gifts and Christmas gifts.
Anyway, I made one out of curly maple and makore. Both woods come from my cousins shop he works at. This is all scrap and he gave me a bunch of cutoffs!!
The second box is all lacewood except the dowels. I had originally planned on using walnut for the ends but it just didn't look right.
I think it turned out pretty well. Not a fan of that lacewood though, it's really brittle and a real pain to plane. It tore out in chunks so I had to back off and just barely skim it. I sure wish I had a drum sander. I hope you all enjoy my efforts and thanks again Mission!!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done there specially the Lace wood it pops out front :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: Crusader

·
Registered
353 Posts
VERY NICE!!! I'm soooooo Happy you were able to use the plans and go Way beyond what I did!!! I hope you make many more in the future!!!!

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words guys. It really is a fun little project.
A couple of things, I first tried to make the lid a tight fit or snug to keep it from just sliding off and it just didn't work very well. I had my wife try and slide the lid on and she struggled with it, so I loosened it up and then it would just slide off, so I first tried a rare
earth magnet, hoping that would be strong enough to hold it, but no. That's when I saw those little dowel knobs and it works great!
I also increased the length of the handle to 9" and raised the height of the handle brackets to better grasp it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Crusader said:
Once again I owe a thank you to one of our members here:thumbsup:
Mission is my Mission posted a thread about making these boxes and was kind enough to tell anyone who cared where to find the plans.
Beautiful boxes Crusader!

I searched "wine boxes" and was unable to find Missions thread.

I'm inspired to make some of these. Its a great project to use some of my "scrap".

Link please?

Reactions: Crusader

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You da man!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Sorry. Dupe post

·
Registered
353 Posts
I left the ends proud of the lid groove about 1/32". Beveled the lip of the lid just a bit so that it can "Ramp Up" the end and Wedge fit on the end. Seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Thanks.

I was thinking about how to secure the lid.

Because I didn't see any kind of latch I figured the lip on the lid would have to be fat on the tail end.

What method did you use to achieve the taper?

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I left the ends proud of the lid groove about 1/32". Beveled the lip of the lid just a bit so that it can "Ramp Up" the end and Wedge fit on the end. Seems to work well for me.
That's a good idea! Did you try it with a bottle in it to see if the extra weight will still keep the lid secure? I was worried someone would tilt that thing to a point of it slipping off and then crash!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
So you tapered the bottom or the top edge of the lid? And on only one end or both? Can you go into a little more detail?

Also, Crusader, can you explain the knob thing a little more? Is it just a dowel with a knob end that fits into a hole? Where does it get put once the box is opened? Just throw it in the box?

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you tapered the bottom or the top edge of the lid? And on only one end or both? Can you go into a little more detail?

Also, Crusader, can you explain the knob thing a little more? Is it just a dowel with a knob end that fits into a hole? Where does it get put once the box is opened? Just throw it in the box?

I'm not sure exactly what he did on his lid, but if he left the end or ends proud a 32nd then then he at least tapered one end. He would have put the taper on the bottom side of the lid to make a ramp.

My idea was the dowel with the ball on the end. I found them at my local craft store, and yes they are loose. But I'm not too concerned about those as the peope I'm giving them to will be alert enough not to lose them. I hope:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts