Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was roughing out a pretty big chunk of wood on my new Delta 46-460 midi that I bought in December.
I was trying to get it balanced running at about 2/3rd's throttle and it just quit!!!
No squeaking
No heating up
No slowing down
Just stopped.
I checked my power supply
I looked for some kind of reset somewhere.

Can anyone help me....I'm bummed

·
7,222 Posts
Wow, I would be more than bummed.

If Robert's suggestion does not help, clutching at a straw here, unplug the machine. There is the potential the variable speed controller needs to be "rebooted". If so, this is normally done by disconnecting the machine from the outlet, not just turning off for about 20 - 30 minutes. The internal capacitors need to drain down.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I would be more than bummed.

If Robert's suggestion does not help, clutching at a straw here, unplug the machine. There is the potential the variable speed controller needs to be "rebooted". If so, this is normally done by disconnecting the machine from the outlet, not just turning off for about 20 - 30 minutes. The internal capacitors need to drain down.
Just went out and unplugged it for a half an hour.....I set the timer....:laughing:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
According to the parts diagram (on eReplacementParts.com) your lathe has an "overload protector" ... I think that's what we old-timers call a fuse ... but it's on the inside of the electrical control box from what I can tell.

If leaving the lathe unplugged for a half hour doesn't get it going again, that might be the next place to look.

Although, since you bought this mid-December, I wouldn't recommend you open up any boxes that would void your warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure you forward reverse switch didn't get switched while running try switching it then turn it back on
It stopped in the middle of me turning so I wasn't switching in on/off forward/reverse.
But thanks

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:furious:I waited 30 minutes :furious:I plugged it back in.........nothing:furious:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
They list a part called
209 5140059-96 OVERLOAD 1
Looks like it could be a reset switch to be but I don't know.​

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry man ... :sad:

Look in the user manual for any mention of the overload protection device (and hopefully how to replace it yourself.)
:eek:users manual ?????
:huh:you know how to read one of those??

I ripped the manual out of the cellophane wrapper and way down in the corner of a page just before the Spanish section was a little teeny blip about a manual overload protection switch located on the back of the machine.

:icon_smile::smile::icon_smile::smile::icon_smile::smile::shifty::smile::shifty::icon_smile:

Thank you Duncsuss and everyone who replied.
Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was roughing out a pretty big chunk of wood on my new Delta 46-460 midi that I bought in December.
I was trying to get it balanced running at about 2/3rd's throttle and it just quit!!!
No squeaking
No heating up
No slowing down
Just stopped.

Reset switch seems to be under the power switch from what I read. Hope this helps. I will continue to look too.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never had to -- I automatically poke every button to see if it does anything, and if that fails I ask online :thumbsup:

Glad you're up and spinning again :smile:
Yay!! I'm not he only one who has manuals still in the cellophane ....:no:

Thanks sooooo much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No squeaking
No heating up
No slowing down
Just stopped.

Glad to hear your lathe is back on line...So what RPM is 2/3's throttle? Do you think you were over loading the motor while roughing out? Did it feel any different than other large pieces you've turned before? Just curious...I have the same lathe.

Thanks,

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts