Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up building this desk a couple days ago.I am really pleased with how it came out.
It was my first time for quite a few things.
I have never worked will full roughsawn lumber before.

I have never worked with 12 inch wide boards before which made the top look great because its only 2 boards instead of 4 or 5.

I have never done double mortise and tennons before and I hand cut the double tennons because I thought that since I only had to do 4 sets of them that would be quicker than making a jig for my table saw.

I have never made a table as large as this one and I tried a new way of finishing.

I have been trying to have each project I do give me the opportunity to try a new technique. One thing I have decided is that I need to get a dovetail jig or learn how to cut handcut dovetails because I used dados for my draws but I think that dovetails would have looked much better.

I have made quite a few improvements in my shop such as having another circuit so my dust collector can run whenever I use a tool along with getting a hanging air filter which has really cut down on dust and all the chips that use to be on the floor.

I also need to invest in some nice quality handplanes and come up with a reliable sharpening method for chisels and plane irons whether that be learning to use sharpening stones better of getting something like the makita wet sharpener or possibly the tomahawk sharpening system.

·
where's my table saw?
27,912 Posts
nice work, you've come a long way

This is a great project to test your skills. Lots of joints and flat surfaces and it looks fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Very nice desk - 100% success rate here. I also love your attitude and enthusiasm for woodworking. I'm pretty much a self taught woodworker myself and you will not learn or improve unless you try new things.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. I relised that i forgot to post the picter of the side but it is a frame and panel. One of the things that made it lturn out so good is that i spent close To a month and a half on it and made sure i had it all looking good instead of rushing it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how should I attach the top because right now it is just resting on the frame. I remember hearing about using clips to hold it on. I know that you don't want to glue it down because of expansion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice work! Your right about the top. Its best to use clips or elongated holes to screw the top down so the top is essentially floating and can move with weather change and humidity changes.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Well done, Kid! Well done indeed. I love your attitude and passion for the craft. You will go far. What kind of wood did you use?

And cool about the shop upgrades. A little at a time really amounts to a great work space. Congratulations on your successful table project. :thumbsup:

·
Trytore Member
2,763 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed! You did a very, very nice job on that. The finish looks great too. Challenging yourself with each project. Upgrading tools along the way - especially dust collection which can be overlooked. You will have experience and a stocked shop before you know it!

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i'm not seeing the pics ... they are little red Xs for me ... ?

·
7,222 Posts
i'm not seeing the pics ... they are little red Xs for me ... ?
I am not sure how the pictures were embedded, they do not appear to be JPG's in the post. They are showing up in my Mozzilla browser, so perhaps something with your browser, phone, etc.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i think i have stumbled on the reason. my work has a content filter that is disallowing them. if i view this thread from home, i bet it will work

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
That is a Fantastic looking desk. I applaud you on such a nice piece of furniture, and it looks like you will be able to hand that down to your grandkids, and tell them that it was your first piece.

I too, thought I needed a dovetail jig, and ended up finding one for a good price. I now want to be able to hand cut DT's, and I kind of regret buying the jig, though I did use if for a few projects. Maybe invest in a good DT saw instead. It seems you really like, and have the passion/patience to work with handtools, so keep at it.

As far as sharpening goes, I am no expert. I know that since I purchased my worksharp 3000, my woodworking has kicked up a notch. Whatever you choose, I think you will see more possibilities in your work.

Again......Very nice job on the desk.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
In the past 15(?) years, I've built 6 simple desks/benches. The desk space was 32" x 72" (4 of those) and two benches 32" x 96" (darkroom & workshop.) As "furniture," they are not. In every case, the most stable method to attach the top to the rest of it has been gravity. If there ever had been a risk of movement, then 2 simple cleats underneath and a couple of short screws for position.

My apologies for not commenting on the 'desk.' You need to send that to me to display in my front hallway. It's beautiful. I'd buy a piece of 1/8" plexiglas so I could still admire the top _and_ drop books, keys, gloves, grocery bags and such when I come home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts