Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to learn Sketchup so that I can get an idea of what my next project will look like. I still have a lot to learn, but I think I’m getting the hang of it. I installed Sketchup on a cheap ASUS Eee laptop and it does not work. Lines are all over the place and there are patches of colors running together so it was a real disappointment.

Anyway this is what I drew:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
for a 1st drawing, that is OK! keep it up and before you know it, you'll be able to get around easily.

one thing i've noticed is that on a low powered computer, setting the face style to "shaded" instead of "shaded with textures" improves things.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for a 1st drawing, that is OK! keep it up and before you know it, you'll be able to get around easily.

one thing i've noticed is that on a low powered computer, setting the face style to "shaded" instead of "shaded with textures" improves things.
:huh: 'Shaded’, Oh! Well that’s a new term that I didn’t know about. I’ll have to check it out, Thanks Chris. :smile:

There is so much to learn in this program. When I first opened Sketchup there was a guy on my screen and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get rid of him. He was falling apart piece by piece until I found “Select All” and deleted everything. LOL

I hope I can get it to work on my small laptop, because I have a lot of projects to draw up and a lot of dead time at work.

Yesterday I was sent to a remote site to let the phone company in to troubleshoot a problem. It would have been great to have Sketchup working because it took them 4 hrs to fix the problem and I didn’t have anything else to do, so I spent the whole time cleaning and you can only mop the floor so many times. LOL :laughing:

·
Paul
24 Posts
Better than I

I tried Sketch up and did not like it at all. By the time it takes to get something draw in it I could have a detail blueprint and the thing made.
Working on a tangent and getting rid of the lines just takes too long. I can even design in Corel draw and put in detention's faster.
Well it's not for me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my god, I have come so far since this thread. I’ve just kept at it and now it’s like second nature. Once in a while I get stuck and just back off for a while and then start up again.
I have a lot of projects at work that I send out to metal fabricators to build and I use to draw up what I wanted by hand on notebook paper. Now I can whip out very accurate detailed drawings in 3D perspective which makes it so much easier to communicate my thoughts. :smile:

Reactions: Willie T

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I find useful about Sketchup is the ability to make components. You can make a post, turn it into a component, and then just copy and paste. I wish my tablesaw could "copy and paste".

Another cool feature is that you can right click on a component, and get information on it: Like how many appear in your model. I like to make an entire copy of my model, disassemble the pieces and lay them out on 4x8 "plywood" panels (or boards or whatever) to get a cut diagram from it. Because if do that at cut time, I will inevitably waste materials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sleeper, I just happened to be browsing this forum and saw your SketchUp drawing. it looks nifty, but pardon my ignorance...What is it?
Dave

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sleeper, I just happened to be browsing this forum and saw your SketchUp drawing. it looks nifty, but pardon my ignorance...What is it?
Dave
It’s an Outdoor Cat House LOL. :smile:

I don’t allow my cat’s to run free outside because of coyotes and cat hating neighbors who poison them. So I have a cat door from an upstairs window with a wire enclosed cat run across my patio roof that wraps around underneath the cover for the full length of my patio.

This drawing is of an enclosed outdoor play house hanging from my patio roof with access to the cat walk at the top. It has a cat litter box at the very bottom that I can access from the patio, but is high enough off the ground to prevent rats & raccoons from entering.

I made a few changes like enclosing the litter box to prevent wind and rain from blowing into the litter box. I also added an access door on the bottom to remove a cat if need be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts