Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well these are a few pics of my first real project. It started out as a plan to build a hopechest for my girlfriend, and I knew we were going to make it through and eventually get married, so I designed it to match my bed frame. As you can tell from the pictures I eventually used the hopechest to propose to my wife and she apparently thought I was worthy of a "YES", so now she has a hand made gift to cherish and remember for forever.

But as for details of the hopechest, it was made from numeroustypes of wood because I knew it was getting painted. It stands about 24" high, and the top is 53" wide and 24" deep. The inside is roughly 48" X 24" X 18" with a sliding tray in the top 1/3. The legs are 6" high and all of the curves were hand cut and sanded (what a pain)! The upholstery I also did myself with the instruction of my mother who did the upholstery on the bed frame.

I leaned alot from this project, but the 2 most important things were
1) Dimensioning - this thing is huge
2) I love woodworking!

and a near third - she loves me!!

well here are the pics.

sorry not sure how to rotate these

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous. We would call this an ottoman. Would love one but unfortunately, rooms in UK a bit on the small side. In the end I bought a flat pack three drawer chest to put along the wall.
You could make a living with these, like I suggested to Woodbox in another thread.
johnep

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm glad to see that people seem to enjoy what I have created. My uncle who has an art gallery told me that if I wanted to sell it (not that I do or ever would) he said I could get @ $1200 for it. I think that is unbelievable, but what do you guys think?

Texas, thanks for the offer to rotate my pictures, but apparently someone already has, but is there a way that I could do that myself? Or do you need to be a moderator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi from Australia
Well done.
Now you are "One off us!" and there is no escape.(Married that is).
What an unbelievable first project.
Keep in touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts