Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mama did all the hard parts. Scraping, stripping, sanding and staining the cabinets. All I did was make the doors. The old doors were simple 3/4 ply.
I "raised" the panels with the TS. Rails and stiles done with the router. Panels "float". 3/8 RO around the outsides. 21 doors and 10 drawer fronts. I had to edge glue the panels, matching the grain being a trick. Gunstock stain. Spring hinges. Took a couple weeks. Never again.

1215111722.jpg

New
Note the granite counter top.

DSCF6454.jpg

00-1.gif

·
Registered
80 Posts
Very nice looking. I know what you mean about first and last. I have tiled one bathroom. When I die, I still expect to be able to say I have tiled one bathroom.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice job, big improvement!

Close to 20 years ago, I built cabinets with raised panel doors for one of our bathrooms, & said "never again" to raised panel doors. Too much trouble getting router bits set up accurately, etc. So we recently rehabbed that bathroom (fixtures, floor, walls), and are using the same cabinets, except one doesn't fit in the new layout, and I have to make a matching replacement that's a little narrower. So never say never, I guess.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Very nice and although I've made lots of projects using raised panels (floating with the use of space balls), I did not do my kitchen cabinets like lots of other members did. I bought some real good cabinets at Home Depot last year during a big sale. I was doing a whole renovation and kitchen expansion that made 2 load bearing walls disappear when I blended the old kitchen, pantry and part of the barn into the new kitchen.

To be honest... with the price of the lumber and the time it would have taken me to build them, buying good quality cabinets with soft close drawers and doors, sliding shelves and under the cabinet pantry and trash can and a 2 tier silverware drawer - I made an excellent choice. I saved a bundle installing them and I know they were installed correctly because the quartz countertop folks who installed our fully warrantied counters didn't even use 1 shim. They were happy with my prep work and were gone within 45 min. Bottom line - the wife got what she wanted and is happy - so happy with all the work I've done - she pretty much lets me buy the tools I want.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great job! What an improvement!

All that in a few weeks? I started our kitchen cabinet refacing back in February or March and only recently installed the doors. I haven't even started on the drawers yet. But I sure have learned a lot about sanding, dyeing and spraying waterborne finishes. I also learned it's a lot of work milling 8/4 lumber down to 1/2" thicknesses (the panels) and gluing them up.

I'm hoping when we sell the house the new owners don't like the doors & drawers so I can take them with us to the next place. Yeah, lots of work!

·
Registered
315 Posts
That looks great. I always like natural wood cabinets over white. Not only do they just look better, I've found after living in a few homes with white cabinets that the white ones never seem to look "great" for too long a period before needing thorough cleaning or re-finishing. Also like the dark granite counters, makes a great contrast with the cabinets.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work. A big improvement from the old. What was your topcoat?

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. The topcoat is plain old oil poly, 3 coats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts