Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long week or so. Generally don't use those kind of words for "Vacation". Grandson (age 7) had open heart surgery last Thursday. Should get out of intensive care today. Spent most of vacation at Boston childrens hospital. I have to be back to work on Friday and plan to leave for home tomorrow morning. We will have a little time on our hands as we have 3 days to drive 20 hours. Wondering if anyone has "must see" suggestions for our trip accross Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois. We will be heading accross I80.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Sorry to hear about your grandson, I hope everything went well. I had to make that trip on the I80 years ago when my 4yr old grandson had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his abdominal area.
Our trip ended in PA from CO, but we completely underestimated the travel time and didn’t get to see anything except downtown Chicago while we were lost. :shifty:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about your grandson, I hope everything went well. I had to make that trip on the I80 years ago when my 4yr old grandson had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his abdominal area.
Our trip ended in PA from CO, but we completely underestimated the travel time and didn’t get to see anything except downtown Chicago while we were lost. :shifty:
It is pretty tough seeing a child go through surgeries like these. I hope you grandson is doing well. Cancer would scare me more than the heart problems my grandson has. This was his 6th open heart surgery. It doesn't get any easier. The doctors say that he will have to have another within the next 8 or 10 years. He was born with no arteries going to his lungs. Modern medicine is pretty amazing.'
I hear you on the Chicago front. If you aren't used to it, it can be pretty intimidating. Downtown Boston does that to me. At least Chicago has wide streets made for cars.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Wow, I know medicine has come a long way especially with heart surgery, but 6 open hearts would scare the heck out of me.

It’s been 6 years and he has to be checked occasionally for cancer, but my grandson is doing great and you would never know by looking at him. They discovered the tumor while getting shots to enter school when he turned 5. The doctor noticed he had an unusual shaped belly and started pressing on it. My son thought he was just getting fat and everyone was telling him that the boy would grow out of it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be a shock to your system. I guess we have to be thankful that they caught it early.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I am sorry to here about your grand baby. That is rough on any little kid.

There is a place not too far from Albany NY that I always enjoyed visiting. If you are interested in touring underground caverns... you might enjoy this place.

http://www.howecaverns.com/

If you decide to go, take a coat or rent one there....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts