Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when I'm in the shop music gets me motivated. I want to know every bodies top five albums for rocking the shop.

1) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2) Metallica - And Justice for All
3) Pink Floyd - Meddle
4) Faith no More - Angel Dust
5) Megadeth - Rust in piece

I guess I'm an old school metalhead with psychadelic tendencies!!!

What's your top 5?????

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ok, maybe not in order of preference but here they are.

1. Van Halen - OU812
2. Van Halen - 5150
3. James Taylor - (Live)
4. Eagles - Live
5. Steely Dan - Gold

I have a great 5 speaker surround sound system in my shop that was donated by my buddy Andy. It really rocks! I plug in my Ipod and I'm set with music for hours. I put it in an Otter Box waterproof ipod case to keep the dust off of it. :thumbsup:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
My top 1000 change like the wind. From Shadowfax to Aphrodites Child. Triumvirat to Muddy Waters. Handels Water Music to Led Zepplin. UK to The Cranberries. Robin Trower to Spyrogyra. Holsts The Planets to King Crimson. BTO, Doobie Brothers, all the way to Tom Jones on rare occqassion.

I ain't much on country very often but when I am I love Marty Robbins gunfighter ballads, George Jones drinking songs and Hank Jr's hellraisin stories, Johnny Horton's one-of-a-kind old time ballads and Alaskan songs, and I can't help it but I love John Andersons hick-ass twangy voice.

I also like practically any classic rock band and Rush is at the top for my play along when i have my kit set up. But I even find myself in the mood for blue grass once in a blue moon and Zydeco makes me want to cut a jig and I can't dance for silver dollars thrown at me...

I don't like opera, I don't like rap, I don't like thrash, and I don't like anything where the vocalist is obviously doing his dead-level best to trash his voice before he reaches the age of 19.

Other than that, i love practically any kind of music that is well done and has at least some merit. Heck I even like Enya sometimes.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Robin Trower
Now you got me digging throw the cds in the basement. I don't have 5 top, 500 maybe that suit my moods. Everything from Leadbelly blues to Pantera. I think we have discussed this before. Not too much country for me, maybe 1/2 dozen artists, only one still alive Willie Nelson. No polka :no:. I tend to listen to harder stuff like metal. But will switch right from King Diamond's "The Eye" to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" without missing a beat. No opera either, well I did hear some Freddie Mercury opera that was kinda cool.
No top 5 for me, it would just change tomorrow.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No top 5 for me as well.....way to much stuff to listen to! I am however a big pink floyd fan:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
What's wrong with good old fashioned psychobilly like The Quakes or Mad Sin???
Oh I forgot, I don't really like good old fashion psychobilly either :laughing:. No hard feelings Geoff. One of my best friends had a band "Didjits" , do a YouTube search. I will not even post a link to their punk blasphemy. I loved the dude like a brother. I used to hump amps up flights of stairs (before they could afford to pay roadies) ...then I would go listen to a good band at another club until they were done :laughing:, and hump the equipment back down and into the van.

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just pipe in KRZR from Fresno theru the PC........onto a small FM broadcaster (the kind for Ipods) and broadcast it out into the Shop...... If I get Bored of that... it's off to Classic Rock / Metal......on CD......

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ok, I guess I am the odd man out here but I listen to mostly country in the shop. Get in the mood will listen to classic rock station.
Top 5
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
George Strait - Blue Clear Sky
George Strait - Straight Country
George Strait - Pure Country
Merle Haggard - The Hag

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Jon Bell,

To each his own but man I gotta say, buddy you need to spread your wings a little. I am gonna suggest you purchase a CD called Music for Piano and Drums by Bill Bruford and Patricj Moraz.

This is one of the most unique, dazzling, relaxing, explosive, and satisfying display of musicianship ever put to vynil (now avaialble in CD). If you cannot afford it ler me know I will burn a coipy and forward it to you.

This entire collection of inspiring music, and that is what it is in it's truest expression, is Bill Bruford on an Acoustic set (with some very modest but delightful use of electronic drums) and master Moraz on an acoustic piano with some modest use of electrics also.

These two musicians are amongst the greatest masters of theor respective instruments, and it impossible for anyone, from any field of musical liking of a particular genre to hear this cd and not be blown away by the musical genius oif these two masters.

There is no overdubbing and most of the songs were laid down stright up. No retakes and just off the cuff. Alot of ad libbing that you would swear was being read from tabs. But nyet comrarde. You will be listening to a singular triumph of musical genius never e2qualled by two musicians with 2 instruments. Both percussion instrument. Yes the piano is a percussion instrument. Inasmuch as the sound produced is the result of a hammer striking a string.
Anyway, you will not ever hear such profiund music produced by a two man pecussion ensemble ever again.

In fact, anyone who cannot afford to purchase the cd I will burn one and send it of you promise to buy your own when you can afford one. I don't like pirating music and depriving the performers of their due rewards. So if you can't afford one now but promise to buy a copy in the future i will send you the cd you pay the shipping.

I bet you can find a copy cheap on amazon anyway as cheap as the cost to pay me the shipping. But I suggest Brufords website explained later.

Daren, knowing how we are much alike in musical taste, you gotta get this. It willbecome one of your favorite i am sure.

Can't believe I haven;t shared this with y'all yet. i had it plugged in this a.m. on the way to the shop. Don't skip around. Play when you have time to give it the full hour or so. The order of the songs are not by happenstance. They build, and slow, and explode, and serenade, and bring joy, then shift you into somber, them leave you smiling in the end.
It's a must-listen to. It's a stroke of musical genius unequalled by any other two muscians usinf 2 acoustic perscussion instruments. Corndog you and the lovely lady gotta have it too. Even though far from your forte you will both glady add it to your listen-to collection when you are in those moods for other styles (all musicians go through listen-to moods) is more of a musicians listen but I have never had a bad review from the dozens i have turned on to it. Heck, my mom loves that Robert Goulet and Barry Manilow crap and she listens to Brufrod and Moraz often while she cooks in the kithcen.

It's also good "lovin" music in case you;re interetsed. ;)

Don't order it from amazon order it from Brufords website. He is giving some "extras" when you order ot from him and it is cheaper too. Do not get sidetracked and order "Flags" (also a Bruford Moraz drum/keyboard collaboration) because you want to hear Music for Piano and Drums first.

i know I have spent alot of time hyping this but I am wanting as many of you to give it a listen as I can conive into buying it. It will give every musician who hears it a broader perspective. jpw you also gotta get it I didn't forget you!

Oh yeah, back to Jon - PUT THAT MUPPET MOVIE ON THE SHELP AND GET SOME CREATIVE JUICES SET ON FIRE! MFPAD will give you the eccentric break you are craving and kick you out of that rut like an epiphany! :yes:

Brufords Website

·
Registered
801 Posts
Surly one that has no kids.................LOL between Spongebob....... and the Christmans Carrols......................... UGHHHHH:blink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok, I guess I am the odd man out here but I listen to mostly country in the shop. Get in the mood will listen to classic rock station.
Top 5
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Hehe, some times i'll throw in a cash cd once in a while too:yes:

I think I might be the one that listens to the biggest variety of music*:

Keith Green
Flame (he's a christian rap artist)
Johnny Cash
Da' truth (he's a christian rap artist too)
The Music I made in garage band

*Mostly all christian though

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tend to use my ipod alot when I'm in the garage. I love all kinds of music but prefer it be loaded down with guitar. My all time favorite music is metal though. I've got Albert King to Vital Remains, and just about everything in between. Been on a huge Johnny Cash kick lately. I've listened to "God's Gonna Cut You Down" about 15 times today. I was singing it to the wood I was cutting, hehe.

I also make my own music:

http://www.myspace.com/signsofdecay
http://www.myspace.com/legionmetal

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh boy,I guess I should have explained that muppet movie thing! My brother has been coming over for the last 3 weeks with his 2 kids to help me do some work on the house.Making 2 rooms into 1.My shop is in the basement.Because I got tired of cd players malfunctioning,I attached 2 extra speakers to the et center in the livingroom,ran the wires into the basement.1 speaker goes into the main shop,the otherone goes to the back of the basement,up through the floor,into the room I used to do my finishing in.This is also the room we're working on.I made the mistake of putting in the muppet movie for the kids.Not only do they like it they are obsessed with it.The prob. is,it doesn't matter if i'm in the living room,the basement,or the room we'reworking on,I always hear the MOVIE! I guess it could be worse,at least it isn't one of the new ones.As far as what music I listen to Metallica,Hendrix,Funkadellic are good starts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts